Sign in to follow this  

Best way to add in a lake?

Microsoft forgot a major lake (or a few hundred) here in Michigan. Can anyone suggest for me what might be the easiest way to add the lake back in? I'm not very experienced with the mechanics of scenery design, is there any quick and easy way to add this in???Regards, Steve

Hello Steve,Adding those forgotten lakes is a cinch, very easy.In Flight Simulator, a lake is a Water Mask. This is a polygon that displays the underlying water class values.You should get Ground2K4 by Christian Fumey, available in the AvSim library. This is a very easy to use program that allows for simple creation of terrain elements. You will probably need to install version 5.1 (or something) and then all the updates.You might also consider getting Ground2K for Beginners, a guide for those whose are new to terrain scenery design. It is also available in the AvSim library. Please note that this guide was written for the previous version of the program, so a few items are no longer validd.To get your lakes in FS, all you have to do is draw them and declare them as lakes within Ground2K4. In case of any questions, please do not hesitate to ask here.Best regards.Luis

Howdy Steve,As a beginner I drew more than 1,150 lakes and ponds using Ground2K4 version 5.33. Se

Goodness, Wil, you are a very patient man. What part of the world has so many lakes?Best regards.Luis

Hello Luis,The lakes are in the Beartooth Mountains of southern Montana and adjacent Wyoming. If I could see a lake or pond in the satellite image, I drew it. The lakes are concentrated in the southeastern part of the Beartooths and there aren't anywhere near as many in the rest of the range and other mountain ranges in the area. The default scenery just didn't reflect the nature of the Beartooth Mountains so I decided to add some water to them. It took a while but I think the results are worthwhile.I do need to prepare a revision to get a better water texture and make some other improvements but that will have to wait a bit. I still have a lot to learn and want to get some enhancements for Yellowstone National Park posted first, hopefully before too much longer.Best regards,Wil