Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

Use of AFCAD for Runway and Taxiway Design

I have a roadblock in my design and I am hoping somebody can answer some questions, which might help me move forward.I am currently working on an upgrade to my Vancouver International Airport which includes moving it so that its runways coincide with the default to accommodate the VATSIM fliers (default taxiways are not correct so will be laid out correctly as in my original design). I want to create better taxiway lines, but the existing process in AFW is very laborious and it has been suggested to me that I use the AFCAD program to display the runways and taxiways which incorporate the necessary lineage.I see the AFCAD program has different textures in the runway dialogue box and I have the relevant items ticked. I have re-compiled my scenery in AFW with the two main runways removed but when I fire up FS and have the CYVR custom AFCAD file in place the runways do not show and I cannot find any specific references as to how to make this work in the AFCAD Help.I have followed the message string "FS2002 Scenery/AFCAD to FS9" in the Airport Forum with interest but I am not ready for a move to SceneGenX (yet?).Can I make the runways and taxiways show using the AFCAD file?I am posting this in the Airport Forum, AVSIM Scenery Design Forum and the PAI AFCAD Forum.NigelVancouver

Hi Nigel,Two things come to mind.1. Have you maybe also made an exclude with the Airport scenery? That could then result in the AFCAD data being excluded as well.2. What did you place with AFW? If you have made any polygons with AFW these will always be shown above the AFCAD data. So as long as you have ground polygons in your AFW file you will never see the AFCAD runway and taxiways.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thx for all the replies, Arno at AVSIM, Tom at PAI and Jaybird at AFW forums. You are all saying essentially the same thing, excludes and polygons in AFW don

Hi Nigel,SceneGenX uses the same code as AFCAD. So you could also design all your taxiways with AFCAD and then place the macros still with AFW (that should still work). If you use SceneGenX you need to have all your objects in the new RIFF library format (made with the new GMax gamepack) or else you can only use default objects. So maybe for object placing, if you still have a lot of macro objects etc, it is a good idea to still use AFW.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog