Sign in to follow this  
Holger

THE place to go?

I'm learning scenery design as I go here - my original goal was an accurate connecticut river and major tributaries from the Long Island sound to Canada. Too big to cut my teeth on, so I narrowed it down to "most" of the Connecticut river between New Hampshire and Vermont - still too big as a trainer - so now I'm doing the area around KLEB roughly White River Junction, VT north to Lyme, NH. Included in this project are a municiple airport (KLEB), a hospital with a very active regional helicopter (so I'm adding helipad, etc.), the Dartmouth College campus, and a ton of small creeks and ponds. For the lake/streams/rivers I want to modify the default data. (is there a consensus here that this is the best approach?) There's a lot of new tools out there that can help me do this, but I'm having trouble integrating all of these posts into something a beginner at this can use. I read some of the posts concerning a possible tutorial holger et. al were putting together, but I'm not able to find anything of substance, and even holger's draft has disappeared from AVSIM.My questions are these: Is there some other forum where the scenery guru's all chat? This place seems like an aside - the interaction a bit too disjointed. Second, IS there a tutorial of sorts that will walk me through using LWMviewer and other tools to get to a point where I could put together a rivers/streams/lakes package that would work with Jim's bglpatch utility, or am I jumping the gun - tools just too new to have tutorials yet?Thanks for any info - this is a project I've been eager to do for years - and really have had trouble getting off the ground. AFCAD2 really got me going, as I was able to make the modifications I wanted to KLEB, then FSSC and other tools have gotten me to point where I can add buildings, and USA roads has eliminated the need for me to address that issue. USA roads has also made obvious the fact that default water bodies really need some attention...Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

My advice would be to learn one of the lwm tools, there are a few. I learned ground2k4, and yet others are out there too. Just focus on one, perhaps others will make their recommendation. I can't say ground2k4 is the best, its just the one I learned and it works so I haven't really checked out the others.Learn it, make mistakes, learn from the mistakes. Don't focus on taking on only the tasks that will make your project come to be. That is a frustrating and inefficient way to learn. Just learn...and after a bit, when the tool is familier to you, then take on the project. Once you learn a lot, you'll find the commentary in this forum easy to follow. I'd say this is the best place to commune with the folks that know how to design scenery. The other best place might be Arno's website, scenerydesign.org. Scenery design is a big idea, seems bigger every day...new techniques with each sim version that have expanded the discussion. Add to that fact that folks will always be involved with a large variation in skill level, you get all kinds of topics raised in the forum. B

Bob,My apologies - I thought I replied to you yesterday, but while perusing the forum here, I noticed there's no response of mine in this thread! Sorry!Thanks for the info - I'm sure ground2k4 is the way to go then. I'll keep at it and see where I end up!Thanks also for the scenerydesign.org link - I thought that site had folded, but seems to just have suffered a failure for a bit. Great to see it coming back.Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Hi Scott,thanks for reminding me about the tutorial; those attachments disappear after a couple of weeks. I'll do a few edits soon and upload that version to the Avsim library for more permanent availability.Cheers, Holger

Guest in_04

>Hi Scott,>>thanks for reminding me about the tutorial; those attachments>disappear after a couple of weeks. I'll do a few edits soon>and upload that version to the Avsim library for more>permanent availability.>>Cheers, HolgerHI Holger,did you uploaded it? I couldn't find it if I search with Autho = 'Holger'

Guest Magister777

Hi Gridley,I know where you're coming from. I just started learning about scenery design a couple weeks ago myself. I can recommend some excellent tutorials that I feel got me relatively up to speed on this stuff rather quickly. They can all be downloaded here at avsim, here's the list:tmf_manual.zip (Terra Model File Manual by Christian Stock)lwmtut.zip (LWM Tutorial by Richard Ludowise)ground2k_for_beginners_121649.zip (Ground2K for Beginners by Luis)A big thanks to those guys for helping a n00b like me get my feet wet. :DAlso, if you haven't already, be sure to check out the docs that come with the SDKs.Take care and good luck,Drew