Sign in to follow this  
siggy

GMAX: Transparent textures and LightMaps (*_LM.bmp) ?

Hi,Is it possible to use a night texture if the day texture is partially transparent ? (Format DXT1 with Alpha/Colorkey). The night texture does not display in my case.Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Yes, it should still be possible to use a night texture. Are you sure you have instructed MakeMDL correctly that you want to use a night texture? They are not turned on by default.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I believe there are two ways to add the LightMaps.One, in the GMAX Material Editor, you have to add the LightMaps to the Ambient Map just as you did for the DayMaps with the Diffuse Map.Two, if your object is already mapped with the DayMaps and you don't want to go back to add all the LightMaps, add the following to an MAKEMDL.cfg file:[settings]LastDir=C:gmaxgamepacksfs2004pluginsSaveDir=C:gmaxgamepacksfs2004plugins[Options]Crash=0HasNightMap=1Below are some of the other settings available for the MAKEMDL.cfg file:[Options] Debug=1 ViewLog=1 KeepErrorLog=1 Keep=1 I8=1 I=0 FullMat=1 Deffallback=1 WeldPoints=1 Optimize=0 Flatten=0 NoAnimate=0 HasReflectMap=0 HasNightMap=0 HasLightMap=0 HasDamageMap=0 NegateZ=1 NoLeftToRight=0 SwapBH=0 Vis=0 Crash=0 XML=0Download the FS2004_MAKEMDL_SDK at http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/ for more information about the options.W. Sieffert

Thanks Arno and W. for your replies.I must admit, I am an ..... :-), I did not installthe MakeMDL SDK at all. Simply used the GMAX SDK,which contained everything that was necessary to create GMAX objects for FS2004.When I exported objects from GMAX, the MakeMDL dialogonly popped up for parts of a second. Now I notice thatthere is a different makemdl.exe in the MakeMDL SDKthan what was included in the GMAX SDK. Does anyoneknow whichone is best to use ? I will now try the MakeMDL SDK version. Perhaps it lets me set parameters in the dialog and does not disappear after a few hundredmillisecs.Great having found two new documents in the MakeMDLSDK, this may help a lot !Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

No, the dialog will never show in the new gamepack, that is the way it has been designed.If you want to use it, you can install MDLCommander, which will give you the dialog screen back.But I think it is easier to just setup the materials correct in the material editor, as described in the other reply.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Agree with Arno on both counts! I only recommended the MAKEMDL SDK as additional information for using the OPTIONS in the MAKEMDL.CFG file.W. Sieffert

Thanks very much for your very useful replies, guys.It's working now. The only thing that I expected tobe different is that FS would slowly blend between the day and night texture. The changeover happensall of a sudden. How would that work with buildings ?I'll have to watch this.Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz