Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Finding Object .mdl in Scenery .bgl files for FS2004

Guest Jib01

I am trying to modify the 2 hangers at Moffett Field, Calif.I need to change the sizes as well as move them.I know the GUID and can place them.1.) How do I find the GUID in all the .BGL files ? Is there a search routine using the GUID that I can use ?2.) After I find it and extract it, what tool do I use to convert it from the .mdl to GMAX format so I can edit it ?3.) Do I need to edit the textures as well or will they wrap ok ?Should be easy for one of you....ThanksJib01

If you download the BGLCOMP_SDK from http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/ , there is a LibraryObject.xls file that contains an all inclusive list for all MSFS including CF2 and CF3. The list contains cryptic titles and the GUIDs of the library objects.The library objects files are in various locations depending if they are location specific or globally available. I would look in drive:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryCitiesSanfran or drive:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryNamwScenery (Oakland.bgl/SanFran.bgl).However, even if you extract the *.mdl from the *.bgls, you still have no way of importing them into GMAX to modify them. You can look at them with a Hex Editor (good luck!!!). If for some reason you could import and modify them in GMAX, you would probably have to retexture them since you changed something. At the very least, you would have to texture what you changed.If all you want to do is move the existing, use an exclude then add the library object to the new location with new scaling orientation, etc all in one file.W. Sieffert

Guest Jib01

>If you download the BGLCOMP_SDK from>http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/ , there is a>LibraryObject.xls file that contains an all inclusive list for>all MSFS including CF2 and CF3. The list contains cryptic>titles and the GUIDs of the library objects.>>The library objects files are in various locations depending>if they are location specific or globally available. I would>look in drive:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator>9SceneryCitiesSanfran or drive:Program FilesMicrosoft>GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryNamwScenery>(Oakland.bgl/SanFran.bgl).>>However, even if you extract the *.mdl from the *.bgls, you>still have no way of importing them into GMAX to modify them. >You can look at them with a Hex Editor (good luck!!!). If for>some reason you could import and modify them in GMAX, you>would probably have to retexture them since you changed>something. At the very least, you would have to texture what>you changed.>>If all you want to do is move the existing, use an exclude>then add the library object to the new location with new>scaling orientation, etc all in one file.>>W. SieffertYes, I have all the SDKs and I have found the right GUID. Now the problem is finding it in the correct .BGL so I can extract it. I know I have seen posts about a .mdl to gmax convertor. I'll have to go looking for it. If worst comes to worst there are two of us that want to redesign them. But first we must find it and delete the old ones and relplace them with the new ones.On the texture stuff, doesn't the texture adapt to the size of the model ?Regards and thanksJib01

Hi Jib01.The MDL format of scenery objects for FS9 is greatly different than previous versions. I can assure you there is no MDL to Gmax convertor for it.But to rescale, that can be done by using XML code, I believe. And if you make a new library object from the MDL, then you can make a new texture for it, using the old texture as a template. The new Library Object will have it's own GUID that you provide, so there should be no mixups. Place it in it's own 'scenery' folder with a twin 'texture' folder for the new texture.I'll leave it to you to determine the copyright violation for altering the object without permission. :(In the long run, you're better off making a new object.Dick

I agree with Dick here.It is far easier to just exclude the current objects and then replace them with some new ones you designed yourself. This will save you all the trouble of extracting and editing objects.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Jib01

>I agree with Dick here.>>It is far easier to just exclude the current objects and then>replace them with some new ones you designed yourself. This>will save you all the trouble of extracting and editing>objects.Ok, I can agree on this one. Now in XML, how do you exclude a model and its textures ???RegardsJib01

>>I agree with Dick here.>>>>It is far easier to just exclude the current objects and>then>>replace them with some new ones you designed yourself. This>>will save you all the trouble of extracting and editing>>objects.>>>Ok, I can agree on this one. Now in XML, how do you exclude a>model and its textures ???>>Regards>Jib01 Jib01you could try ExcBuilder V2 by Paavo Pihelgasavailable on AVSIM libraryRegards