Sign in to follow this  
arno

XML Tutorials out there?

Guest Chief_Parrothead

Any good tutorials out there to help those of us who are struggling with converting api macros to xml?

It is not really possible to convert API macros to XML code.If you want to use the XML code to place objects you will have to design them again from scratch, with the Fs2004 GMax gamepack. Older objects can not be called by the XML code.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Chief_Parrothead

Thats what I thought (and feared)......but I thought there was a way to get the FSDS or Nova file imported into GMAX where you could then re-texture them and run through the MakeMDL program.

That is indeed possible. There is a DXF exporter for FSDS and you can then load these DXF files into GMax. But I don't really like this approach. I think you can get much more efficient objects when you design them from scratch in GMax.Or you could keep using FSDS until it is updated (if that happens of course).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest gorchi

Hi!I persume once there will come a day that either SCASM will support new commands or there will be proper output from FSDS that You can compile output file with BGLC. Honestly, I think first will happen sooner and I think Louis Sinclair is already in touch with Manfred Moldenhauer.Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Yes, SBuilder already uses a beta version of the new SCASM. It does support some of the new Fs2004 commands, but not yet the ones needed to make MDL scenery objects. I also have had some contacts with Manfred about this.Once there is a SCASM version that allows you to make MDL scenery objects I think it should only be a matter of time till FSDS can be updated.Another alternative is of course that FSDS would also produce ASM code that can be compiled with BGLC, but because MS has not released an official version of BGLC for Fs2004 (we use the one Rhumbaflappy uploaded), I don't think this is very likely to happen.

Arno

I found a SCASM to GMAX import script at AVSIM, scasm_source_import.zip by Tom Rowland. I attempted to import an *.api without success.Tom indicates in the script header that it only has some limited SCASM import instructions.W. Sieffert

Thanks, I had a quick look at the script and it looks rather interesting :). Guess I have to study the MaxScript help files a bit more, as this seems a very good way to import old objects.I have a plan to make a API to MDL converter once (would also need an updated SCASM for that), but such a script might even be more useful, when it is able to load most scenery objects. From the help files I seems the current script was tested on aircraft mainly and not on API macros (which have no placement code of course). Maybe with some changes we can get it working, very interesting idea :D.

Arno