Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeW

Well now I've cracked it......(ish)

Guest pks1414

Ground2K that is, I was just wondering what people out there use in general for creating Towns and Roads etc. specifically European. I have just created my first masterpiece:-) but there was a lot of trial and error. I drew the polygon around the map of the town/village which is quite small, however when I picked the fill for it (small non grid) I got more fields than town. I eventually opted for large city which filled the area (albeit with a few large buildings).I would appreciate any ideas.ThanksPaul

Hello Paul,Flight Simulator does not have many ground textures that specifically represent European towns, so there is not yet a easy solution for this.Probably, future versions of the game will have a greater variety of ground textures for the rest of the world.Best regards.Luis

As an alternative you could of course try to make your own textures and use these. This is what we have done for our Dutch scenery (not using VTP polygons yet, although we have done some tests with it).But if you want to use the default textures I am afraid Luis is right, they don't really include the textures we need.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest pks1414

Thanks for coming back on this, well it looks like Evesham (a market town on the River Avon) could look quite the metropolis :D

Howdy,the descriptions of the landclass textures are often not very helpful. However, several people have made landclass texture catalogues (pictorial guides), which are very helpful and eliminate most of the trial and error. One such catalogue comes with EZ-Landclass and there are a few others in the file library. Lately, I've been using James Bertelson's PolyView LandClass Viewer pretty much exclusively, as it provides images from several perspectives and allows for direct comparisons via a Hold function. Attached is a screenshot of PolyView.... and the usual warning: don't use VTP2 polygons with and without night tetxures (e.g., cities vs. golf courses) in the same project file and layer or your golf courses might look like cities at night.Cheers, Holgerhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/82005.jpg

Guest JoeW

Where can I find this "James Bertelson's PolyView LandClass Viewer " catalog?I wrote one while doing the Florida Landclass project thats at Avsim but I'm told there are some additions to this in FS9. ThanksJoe W.

Hi Joe,polybsetup.zip here in the library (or search for "James Bertelson"). Actually, it's a funny thing about some of those new landclass textures. I tried to place some of the grassy ones via Ground2K4 and for me they show up as water but in Jim's catalogue they seem to be fine. Have to check into that some more; maybe G2K4 "thinks" they are undefined and sets them to class 0 or 100. Cheers, Holger

Guest JoeW

After I posted that, I did an aggressive search and found it. I was told that there are 2 or 3 new textures.... By that program there is more than that. I haven't had the chance to compare mine and Bob's against this program. I switched ISP's and am about to release another scenery, so I haven't had much time.This is promising though.I'm wondering how this got posted here at avsim without me seeing it.Joe W.