Sign in to follow this  
Guest Magister777

Custom LWM-polys look bad on FS9 internal game map

Guest Magister777

Hi all,I've recently started playing around with updating the shoreline for my local area of Portland, Maine. Using Ground2K4 I've created some custom coastline that looks ok when viewed from the plane in FS9.However, I've noticed when using the 'map' (from the cockpit dashboard or during flight planning) the custom coastline looks horrible. See attached screenshots.I really noticed this effect after I moved the default HP929160.bgl from the installation. It seems that my area-fills show up, but land LWM-polys do not. Curiously, water LWM-polys appear to look ok. (Notice the Back Cove is correct on the map, but the peninsula is not, the Cove is a water LWM and the peninsula is a land LWM.)Have others of you noticed this? Is there a solution besides sticking to water-only LWMs? I've noticed that other custom coastline I've downloaded has had the same problem.Please let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions for this.Thanks,Drew

Guest christian

Hi Drew,I've noticed exactly the same problem. I have no fix, but I'm guessing that the geopol boundaries could cause this (they are located in the airspace bgls). Just a guess though.Cheers, Christian

OFF topic question for you, Drew...Drew - I noticed you are using USA Roads along with your project. Did you have to do anything special in order to get USA Roads to display properly along with your edited coastlines? I am having some difficulty with USA Roads and the coastlines - where I place a new coastline in G2K4, my USA Roads highways disappear - city streets stay, but highways go away. Now - I am using it with FS2002, which probably is contributing to the problems. And it's also probably LAYER related. But I was just curious if it worked straight-up for you. Your Portland scenery looks good! Planning on making it freely available?! I'm working on Providence, RI and Narragansett Bay.-Greg

Hi Drew.FS9 will display all the LWM water polys active in the scenery in the map and GPS view. This means if you simply draw new water polys, they will display along with the default water polys.As usual, the solution is to replace the default LWM polys, either with an altered default file, or with an entirely new LOD5-sized HP*.bgl :(Dick

Disregard this problem - I've figured it out. Had to put my USA Roads at a higher priority on the scenery library list. Once done, the roads were properly displayed.

Guest christian

Hi Dick,thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately that's not the problem (I did a LWM replace). It seems as if FS9 shows some LOD Quads extra that shouldn't be shown, and some LOD quads are missing (this is only in the map). That's why I think the geopol boundaries may have something to do with this...Cheers, Christian

Guest Magister777

Hi Dick,Thanks for the reply. You were right about the water polys. Previously, I had been using water area-fills and then land polys. When I switched to land area-fills and water polys, everything looked much better in the map.Thanks,Drew

Guest Magister777

Hi Greg,I don't think I changed any of the default settings for USA Roads priorities. As far as layers for the roads, I don't know which ones for sure they are assigned to, but I noticed 'major' roads will show up over water and 'minor' roads will not. That seems to me they use separate layers... anyway, glad you got it worked out.I'm glad you like my Portland scenery. I'll probably be uploading it to avsim when I'm finished with the Casco Bay area... I'd like to do more, but the Maine coast is quite intricate with hundreds of islands and lakes, rivers, etc... I'm looking into some sort of automation for continuing this project.I look forward to trying out your RI scenery, good luck!Drew

Guest jimkeir

Hi.Did somebody say automation?http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim/scenery.html#MaineI've not included any new landclass so there are problems with some of the islands off the coast. Anyway, let me know what you think :) I'll tidy it up over the next week or so for a proper release, but I thought you'd like to see it.Cheers,Jim

Guest Magister777

Jim,I just checked out your Maine coast. It looks 100x better than the default coastline. (Actually it's probably more like 128x better.) Now I can fly VFR in my home area without getting lost! :) I'm impressed with the rivers as well, it's nice to be able to see them above 500ft and not confuse them with utility lines. I can see what you mean about the landclass needing to be updated, there's a lot of islands with shorelines but no land. I also noticed a few islands that looked okay except that the waves were crashing in the wrong direction; a minor issue, really.Overall it's looking very good though, I'll keep you posted once I've had a better chance to check it all out. And thanks for making quick work of that!Ciao, Drew