Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Excluding part of default .bgl files

Guest Alistair320

Can someone help? I am using Coastline maker to redraw an islands coastline. By extending the coast outwards, I want to allow the mesh I am using to show high ground which isnt there in FS9 because it's sea. In order to do that, I will have to remove the default VTP coast and LWM's from the default FS9 .bgl files. I have located the HP and HL .bgl files and disassembled them, but I have no idea how to find the section corresponding to the LOD8 area which draws my island, so I can remove it. Does anyone know how to find it, and if my way of going about it is likely to work? Or does anyone know an easier way?I'd be very grateful for any helpAlistair

Guest Ruahrc

I think if you use programs like LWMViewer or TMFViewer it can report to you which area you are in? I am confused myself on all the terminology (area, cell, etc) but I think those two programs can help?It sounds like what you are doing is exactly what I've been trying to do as of late. I am drawing a river in G2k4 based on a satellite photo and in order for the mesh to line up correctly I had to remove the HP and HL bgls from the sim. But the problem is once I remove those files I lose the water and shorelines for a large area! I don't have a satellite photo for an area that covers the bgls, is there a way I can exclude only a portion of each one?Ruahrc

Guest Freddy Wilhelmsen

Hi!James keir ( aka jimKeir ) has created a great tool for patching default BGL files...it works briefly like this: The program reads your BGL files containing the LWM/VTP data, and removes the corresponding LOD8 cells in the default HL* and HP* BGL files. Notice that in order to make your new coastline look ok, you need to design whole LOD8 cells.You can find his program called BGLpatch, and you can find it along with simple instruction of use in this thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=20553&page=rgdFreddy

I agree that BGLPatch does the job nicely. Also, LWMViewer has the open by coordinate feature. Enter your Lat / Long, and it will compute the LOD5 area around that point, and load all the associated default files of format ??9xxyy0.bgl. Then, as you mouse around, the bottom window shows the current cell, area, and point parameters, Also with cell grid and optional area grid overlay.In addition, it has a dissassembly option, using the TDFMacro.inc facility, so that the source code is fairly easy to follow.scott s..