Sign in to follow this  
toprob

Flattening a coastline on photoreal scenery

What are the alternatives for flattening the coastline in a harbour to stop the water riding up the hills where the mesh doesn't match? For smaller areas I've remeshed using Ground2K4, which has the advantage of allowing me to improve the default mesh (LOD8)in local areas.In my current project, though, there's just too much to remesh by hand, plus the bits I have done need the alteration to the FS9.cfg file, to show the LOD10 remesh, and I don't want to make users alter their cfg files.I've looked at Coastline Maker, but can't make much sense of it. Ideally I want something which I can just drop the photoreal source image into, complete with co-ordinates already estabished in Terrabuilder, and draw around the coastline. Is there anything remotely like this available?Visit the Windowlight forum on Avsim... everything you need to know about New Zealand flightsim sceneryhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...forum=203&page=

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Robin,The method I use is to create and install the terrabuilder photo scenery. I then print off a copy of the photo bitmap on to A4, and in slew mode, zip around the coastline marking on the print where the water rides up the hills. I then start a G2k4 project and draw zero elevation polys in each problem area. This is reasonably quick and the result is OK. The biggest problem I have is trying to remesh up small headlands that have zero elevation. Even with the poly flattens, the remesh points seem to draw the terrain up along with the water.Regards

Thanks, Scott. I'll experiment a bit.Yeah, after spending a month remeshing some coastal scenery using G2K4, I now find out that on other systems -- without the TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL set to greater than the default -- the result is a mess. Oh well, at least I can offer the remesh as an alternative for those who don't mind messing around with their FS9.cfg.Visit the Windowlight forum on Avsim... everything you need to know about New Zealand flightsim sceneryhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...forum=203&page=