Sign in to follow this  
FS Robert

FlightMax or FSNAV...?

Hi All,Anybody using both? I have done a few flights with FSNAV and find the moving map kinda cool, but FlightMax you can have an even more cool moving map...ok, it will cost around fifty US Dollars for the maps, but seem worth it. any thoughts?FSNav is a flight planner...FSMax is not. both are good but are both needed?This Hobby Just Keeps Getting Better... :-yellow1Kind RegardsRobert

Vl3MQY.png

My two cents worth:FSNav is a great tool for flight planning, and has a decent moving map. I like FlightMax for the weather radar and moving map option too. Will I spend $50 to load a chart into FlightMax, no, its a neat idea, but I think its overload. Dave/KAZO

Well, still the question remains the same...is both needed. Fifty dollars to get moving maps in FlightMax, FSNav is complete!, but no weather radar in FSNav. Soon FlightMax will be FS_Meteo friendly...major cool. That Makes FlightMax a must! The point and click feature on the FSNav moving map is great, all the info you need with a mouse click. FlightMax is a bit of a chore when it comes to mouse clicking with all the different features. Well, I have purchased FlightMax a few weeks back, now I have given FSNav a good run through. I figure I have ten sessions left before I need to register the program....what to do. FSNav cost 30 and FlightMax Maps cost 50. Come to think of it, you can not click on the FlightMax moving maps the way you can FSNav moving map!This Hobby Just Keeps Getting Better... :-yellow1Kind RegardsRobert

Vl3MQY.png

Guest rogue1

I am using both. I don't use FSNav undocked so FlightMax provides me with an effective alternative. I create all of my flight plans with FSNav, export to FS2002 and ACS-GPS (my preferred GPS system).For GA aircraft I use FlightMax for all of my VFR flying. I have Tony D'Ambrosio's NavData gauges so those are in most of my passenger jet panels.I have sectionals for most of the areas that I do VFR flying, and only on low level IFR chart so far for FlightMax. I have paper approach charts for most of the US (including Alaska), working on my Canada stuff.I would say that you need to figure out what works best for the way you fly. FSNav is a great flight planning tool, I don't care for the RNAV/VNAV functions personally but they are nice. So far, FlightMax is THE only weather solution for FS2002/2000. No other options if you want to see precipitation and lightning. FS Meteo (for that matter any wx generator that uses FSUIPC) support should be available shortly.I am writing this, and I'm thinking I have way too much money wrapped up in a game.Oh, well..Jim

FlightMax. Hands down. Personally, I think its much much more realistic, more fun to use (since its so versitile and a real instrument), and well worth the price. As far as chart complaints go, if you wait a while, they are working on compatibility with Fly!2 charts, which would mean you can just buy the whole program for 15$ or whatever its at and get a new flightsim and full charts.Scott

So far I have found:FlightMax for Weather, Sectionals, Aircraft Alerts (I have all 50 US States sectionals from Aeroplanner SimPack option as well as 4 CURRENT Sectionals)FSNav for Waypoints and Airport Info (CANNOT BE BEAT RIGHT NOW IMHO FOR GETTING INFORMATION IN FLIGHT - WELL & THE MCDU Airport info in the MCDU on PSS Airbus)PSS Airbus with a bunch of liveries.You CAN'T BEAT that right now with anything I have ever used to date.THAT setup is making it as real as it can get right now IMHO. :)So, to answer your question: THEY BOTH are well deserved & serve a purpose for those pilots looking to try it all.OH YEAH! And I also have Reality XP for those flights in GA along with Flightmax.Carmine "The Big Ragu" :-cool

Depends on your budget and time for FS. I have limited time, I've learned FSNav inside out these past 3-4 years, so for me, it's FSNav. FSNav is the bee's knees esp. when used with FSmeteo. I've even found a way to simulate step-climbs with FSNav. When I retire, I'll get FlightMax (it does look super, but quite complex).JS

Actually, FlightMax seems to have every feature FSNav has and more. You can get information on VORs, NDBs and Airports within a 60 mile radius. The reason I like this is because its much more realistic. Though, since it would be much less realistic to use a FlightMax in a large commercial jet, that would be a situation where FSNav (or, if you have an aircraft that has an FMC, use that) would be the best.Scott

I bought the FSFlightMax because it has real world features and you learn it by using a real world instruction book (PDF). FSNav just makes it too easy and not much of a challenge. And, show me a real world manual for FSnav. Anything close?Just my perception, so please no flames because I did not jump on to the FSNav band wagon.Regards,BobOnly a thought ... I Bearshare music, do you? Charts? .. Please, not here with commments..

To me both are essential for vfr or ifr flight....they are both very well put together and work well in unison.... :):)

Hi All,Thanks so much for the replies. All of your answers were very helpful in my decession to have both...maybe!This Hobby Just Keeps Getting Better... :-yellow1Kind RegardsRobert

Vl3MQY.png