Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimkeir

Removing default flatten

Guest hefy_jefy

Is there a way to completely remove a default FS airfield?I can get rid of almost everything, but the flatten area. The position is completely wrong and even when I move the rumway to the correct heading and location I am still left with a hole in the ground. I have tried the re-mesh in G2K4 but it won't "fill in the hole"The FSSC exclude gets rid of most things but not the flatten..AFCAD does the runway...Any ideas?Geoff

Guest jimkeir

Hi.You can use the normal LWM tutorial, but you need to work with a file starting with FL instead of HP . That will get rid of the hole, but not repair runway elevation etc. To do that, I'm not sure what the easiest method would be. There's a tool called "newbglanalyze" which will convert the AP* files to XML source, so you could probably use that and then edit the code by hand.HTHJim

Guest hefy_jefy

Hi Jim,Thanks for the hint, I have been away from this for a while I hadn't realized that FLxxxx.bgl was a flatten. And your LWMViewer made it easy!I simply figured out which flatten needed to go, decompiled the .BGL deleted the flatten for the airport I wanted and recompiled it with BGLC.Bingo! Now I can remove the old runway by deleting it with AFCAD, use FSSC (or AFCAD it seems) to make a custom area and it looks great!Not hard, even for a "non-code head" like me. I havn't tried anything with XML yet....Thanks gainGeoff

Guest jimkeir

Hi.Ding! Next please :)JK

While on this question, there has been discussion in AFCAD communities about setting airport elevation. The Airport element in the AP* files has an altitude attribute. When people install AFCAD files, they sometimes find AI not at the runway / taxiway surface elevation. The DeleteAirport that AFCAD uses doesn't delete the elevation attribute. It seems like if the alitutde in the AFCAD file (higher priority layer) is greater than the default, the new altitude is used for AI purposes, but if the elevation is lower, it is unchanged. So people have been either editing the AP* files, or installing a copy of the AFCAD in a lower priority (loads first) layer like sceneryworldscenery so that the lower altitude is applied before the AP* altitude. Apparently then the second copy of AFCAD, installed in the typical high priority layer resets the altitude back to the value used in the first AFCAD.I guess my question is the relationship of the airport flatten altitude to the elevation set in the airport elevation attribute and the runway elevation atribute, and how they should be modified.scott s..

Guest jimkeir

Hi.In the AP* files, there are elevation elements for many of the objects - airport, tower, runway, ILS, VOR, NDB... The corresponding flatten polys, in FL*, are set to the same elevation. If you alter one and not the other, strange things happen.If the AP* elevation is *above* the FL* one, the runway hovers in mid-air. If it's *below*, it appears at ground level but moves as if it were at the elevation set in the file, so it seems to float over the ground as you move.As far as I know there's no way to override the existing FL* values, except by altering the file. However, given that people *will* alter the FL* files, I'm not sure what the best solution would be.Cheers,Jim