Sign in to follow this  
Guest KORFBuilder

Moving an airport

Guest wbomball

I've searched to no avail about how to move an airport. I fly out of Decatur Municipal Airport a lot and since purchasing USA Roads find that the road to the west of the airport actually runs through the hangars, terminal etc. Is it possible to move the airport about 100 feet to the east? If so, how would one go about doing it? It is on flat land already so no flattening would be required. Anybody willing to help me?Bill

You may not want to pick up the whole airport and move it 100ft. Is the airport reference in the correct location according to the Airport/Facility Directory? Is the runway in the correct location?You can delete (exclude) the terminal and hangars and place them in a different location. You probably will need to redo the aprons and taxiways at a minimum.You could use AFCAD221.zip, excbuilderv2.zip, SceneGenX - http://www.airportforwindows.com/ and knowledge from the Scenery SDKs - http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/ to make the changes.W. Sieffert

Guest wbomball

Thanks for the information. That sounds like more than I'm currently capable of doing, since I'm not that computer literate. Never know, I might attempt it though.Bill

Guest KORFBuilder

Bill,I encourage you to try at least using excbuilderv2 and AFCAD2 as listed above. The excbuilder program will build an "exclusion" area, basically removing the default buildings within a certain latitude and longitude. You can find these coordinates by slewing your aircraft in flight sim. Assuming you have the default commands still setup, just press "Ctrl+S" to get the overhead view and "Y" to enter slew mode. Also press "Shift+Z" to get the lat/long coordinates of the aircraft displayed at the top of your screen. Enter the coordinates into excbuilder2 and specify what default scenery you want removed.As far as AFCAD2 goes, it is a graphic program that will let you adjust the runways, taxiways, and aprons. It helps to move the hangers away from your road, but its useless if there's still an apron there! So, use this program to get that out of the way. The program has really good documentation and support.Now if you want to place new hangars and such somewhere else, then you will need to use SceneGenX. Again, a graphic program with pretty good support.I hope this was a little more help and encouragement to your new venture in scenery design. All of us here were totally illiterate at this at one point or another. There is a lot of learning to do, but maybe soon you will be uploading your scenery design to AVSIM as well! Good luck!Matthew PerryKORFBuilder