Sign in to follow this  
arno

FS2002/FS2004 bgl compatibility question

Guest damo44

This is a really basic question.For a couple of years I've been using gmax 1.1 and the MakeMDL that (probably) came with the FS2002 SDK. The bgl objects created with this worked in FS2002 (obviously) and seemed to work okay in FS2004. Until now I saw no need to change anything, but I've been told that using the older tools may be a reason why my objects cause problems with some autogen in FS2004.I've now downloaded gmax 1.2 and some of the FS2004 SDKs but I'm not sure I've got my head around the new process for creating bgls.Am I correct that exporting the object from gmax now creates an .mdl and .xml file and that the .xml file needs to be compiled into a .bgl with MakeBGL.exe? Do you still enter the lat/long/rotation coordinates in the MakeMDL dialogue box, or do you edit the .XML file?Are bgls created with the new method and compiled with the MakeBGL.exe compatible with FS2002? I would still like to create my scenery to work with FS2002 because it's so much easier to reposition objects without having to restart the sim each time.David

Guest gorchi

Hi David,quote:Am I correct that exporting the object from gmax now creates an .mdl and .xml file and that the .xml file needs to be compiled into a .bgl with MakeBGL.exe? Yes, You are correct. MDL is now more like aircraft MDL but basically it is still BGL. You can add it directly to XML so it looks like You have wrap the object with additional position data.quote:Do you still enter the lat/long/rotation coordinates in the MakeMDL dialogue box, or do you edit the .XML file?You put these data in XML file. Of Course You can still have a library of object (see Arno Gerretsen's page for Library XML tool - www.scenerydesign.org -> forum -> tools) and just put XML's around like old API's.quote:Are bgls created with the new method and compiled with the MakeBGL.exe compatible with FS2002? I would still like to create my scenery to work with FS2002 because it's so much easier to reposition objects without having to restart the sim each time.No, it won't work. But You still can use old FS2002/2000 scenery in FS2004 without big problems.Speaking about problems, You said You have some autogen problems with FS2002 scenery. What problems do You have, too much exclude around airport or sth else? If You use FSSC and use any kind of holding, then it is normal, because v2 of holding lines is calculated wrong (too huge).Hope it helps and best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest damo44

GoranThanks a lot for the reply.No, it won't work. But You still can use old FS2002/2000scenery in FS2004 without big problems.That's a shame. Working in FS2002 is so much quicker for designing/positioning objects. Speaking about problems, You said You have some autogenproblems with FS2002 scenery. What problems do You haveThe problem is with FS2004. I haven't seen the problem first hand - someone else is designing the autogen scenery and I have sent him some bgls. From his description, I think that autogen is missing off some scenery tiles - but only when my objects are enabled. Strangely, the tiles with missing scenery are not adjacent to my objects.David

Just to clarify the tools used to compile library objects:MakeMDL.EXE and FSModelExp.dle are used via GMAX to export Aircraft, Scenery, and Cloud files, MDL, XML, and CLD. For Scenery files, the XML and associated MDL file require further processing with BGLCOMP.EXE to produce an BGL file.BGLCOMP.EXE and BGLCOMP.XSD are used to compile XML files into BGL files.One of the nice things about building scenery library objects with GMAX is that once all the library objects are exported, they can be combined into one library BGL file for a particular airport or used globally. An excellent example of this is jetways2.zip. Installing the three library files as explained, allows unlimited use of the jetways globally.Lastly, read the entire "Installing the FS2004 GMax SDK over the FS2002 GMax SDK.rtf". The files needed to correctly install the FS2002 gamepack are provided. If installed correctly, you can use the FS2002 gamepack separately from any other gamepack, FS2004, TrainSim, CFS3, etc., without interference with each other.W. Sieffert

Guest damo44

Thanks guysIt took me a little while but I've now managed to reposition and recompile some old objects using gmax 1.2, the new makeMDL/bglcomp and XML - and they even show up in FS2004.David

Hi David,Most things have already been explained in the other posts. Just to add something.BGL files made with the Fs2004 do not work in Fs2002. So if your scenery should work in both you can better use the old gamepack.I have not yet heard that autogen exclusion is less with the new gamepack. As far as I know still all autogen in a square around the object is excluded.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog