Sign in to follow this  
Guest FlyGirl

GMax created objects are disappearing in FS2002.

Guest FlyGirl

I have created some objects in GMAX and put them into FS2002. The problem is that they sometimes disappear as I fly toward them or past them. Sometimes they reappear and then disappear again. Sometimes they're gone for good. Sometimes it is a single object and sometimes it is several of them. I had this problem on my old computer and I thought it may have been a problem with lack of processing power so I bought a brand new one. At first I had created these objects as one big one in GMAX and exported it to Flight Sim like that, but part of it would disappear. I thought maybe the computer didn't like an object that big, so then I exported each object individually. The objects really aren't very big....a flat square about 30 meters across. Is there some setting in FS that I should change? Is it an issue of RAM (the new computer has 512mb)? I restarted the computer but this didn't help. Are there any diagnostics I should run? Should I try adding texture to the objects? If so, how do I go about doing that? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Christine

Hello Christine,Sounds a bit like a wrong v2 value of your objects, this can cause dissapearing from certain angles. How did you place the objects, directly from GMax or with an API or so? If you placed them directly from GMax the v2 should be correct.Also you write that you first had everything in one scene, but now exported it every object separate. Does this mean that you just used export selected from that complete scene? In that case it does not really matter, as all objects would still use the same RefPoint (0,0 point in GMax).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest FlyGirl

Hi Arno;How do I find out what my V2 value is. How do I find out what it should be? Then how do I change it? I exported the objects directly from gmax.The large object was made from cloning several instances of my original object and then attaching them. But instead of doing this, I just exported the single, original object several times. I guess this would mean that the reference was 0,0 for all of them. Thank you;Christine

When you have exported it from GMax directly the v2 can not be wrong, so I guess it must be something else.Is your GMax scene very big? If the area spanned would be a few kilometers that could also give the trouble.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest bones

It sounds intriguing.Just a couple of questions. First, did you make each object using the box or plane object tool? Second, are the squares you have made sitting at ground level?OK, one more question. How big an area does the completed scenery cover and is it in an area of otherwise detailed default scenery?boneshttp://fsaviation.net

Guest FlyGirl

Each object is a flat square about 30 meters across. There are 20 of them spaced out.

Guest FlyGirl

Hi bones;I used the box object. The squares are in the air and spaced out so that they cover an area about 14km long. I have positioned them over water so no detailed scenery otherwise. Someone told me that I should add texture to them and this should stop them from disappearing. What do you think? I'm currently going through the tutorials to try to figure out how to do this. Would you be able to give me a step by step on adding color/texture? I'm missing something. I made a bitmap of the color I want to apply in PaintShop Pro. In the materials editor, how to I navigate to get this bitmap into the project? Maybe the tutorial I'm looking at is for the wrong version. I have version 1.2. Thanks, Christine.

Guest gorchi

Christine,Your macro is way to big and texturing object will not help. Since You have exported 14km long object from GMAX in single piece, it is normal, that You will have such problems. V2 value in Your case should be 32767 for example and it will cost You frame rates and autogen.My advice (and other designers would agree also) is to export each object as library object and place them together using XML (ScenGenX for example) (for FS2004) or using APIs with FSSC or Airport for Windows. If You have let's say 30 identical objects, then You need to export only one object (placed in centre, with reference point 0,0 in GMAX) and then simply multiply them in appropriate programs. This will cost You much less FPS, no problems with Autogen, no problems with v2 value.So, if You are using FS2002 gamepack, then export GMAX object with FSRegen and You'll get an API and a library BGL. Then use this API with FSSC or Airport for Windows.If You are using FS2004 gamepack, then You'll get MDL and XML file, which You can put anywhere by hand or using ScenGenX.Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Yes, agreed with Goran. Reminds me of a person we once had here that was trying to make a big tunnel in the sky object as one big GMax file and he came across the same problems. I think you should never try to make your object bigger then a few hundred meters, otherwise you start running into trouble.

Arno

Guest FlyGirl

Arno and Goran;In the first post in this thread I mentioned that I had originally attached the objects but realized that it was to big so I put them in individually. They are now lined up so that they cover a path about 14 km, but each object has been exported to the FS individually. This was an issue that I had figured out a while ago. (As proof, each object (all 21 of them)has its own file listed in the scenery folder in the FS)So the problem is not the size of the objects; they are flat squares about 30 meters across. It is something else.Thank youChristine

Hi Christine,But when exporting the objects, do you give them the same center coordinates (so the actual placement is done in GMax) or are the objects all centered on 0,0 in GMax and do you place them at different coordinates.The last option should work, the first not as you still have the problem with the big distance from the center.

Arno

Guest FlyGirl

Each object is exported to different coordinates. I tried applying a texture to each of them and it seems to have done the trick. Maybe it gives the FS more to "grab onto", if you will.Christine

Guest gorchi

Christine,You should have for every object reference point at 0,0 if it is stored as separate library object. Otherwise You must increase v2 values over the normal limit.Hope it helps!Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest FlyGirl

AARRRGGGGGG! The addition of color worked for a while, but now the ojects are disappearing again. I used the Materials Navigator to add the color. Does anyone think it would make any difference to add a texture as well?Christine

Guest FlyGirl

Goran;I thought that I did have the reference point at 0,0 but maybe I am wrong. How do I find out what it is? Where do I look and what am I looking for?Thank you