Sign in to follow this  
Guest damo44

gmax 3D viewport - not rendered

Guest damo44

Ok guys, in gmax 1.2 how do I get the 3D viewport to show the rendered objects. I've applied textures to them (and they show up OK in FS2004) but the viewport just shows gray objects. Models created in older versions of gmax, where the 3D viewport showed the rendered objects, display OK in 1.2I can't remember which options, if any, I needed to change in earlier versions to get the 3D viewport to behave this way.Also when I rotate any objects in the 3D view, they disapear until the mouse button is released.David

Try to right click on the viewport name. You should get a menu then where you can select if textures should ne shown, or only wireframe, etc.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hello David,Besides what Arno mentions, you might also think to select the icon in the Material Editor (a small checkered cube, I think) that displays the textures in the Perspective Viewport. This is usually the problem (happens to me all the time!)Best regards.Luis

Guest damo44

Arno/LuisThanks. It was the little checkered cube that I had missed. I now get textures in the 3D viewport.But the object in the 3D viewport still disappears while being moved or rotated. It's difficult to describe what is happening, but imagine a rendered tapered cylinder in the 3D viewport. When it is moved/rotated the object is replaced with a wireframe cube until the mouse button is released.David

I think that is an option you can set in the preferences. If I remember correct there is a setting somewhere that says display as wireframe during rotation. I think it is in the Viewport preferences.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest damo44

>I think that is an option you can set in the preferences. If>I remember correct there is a setting somewhere that says>display as wireframe during rotation. I think it is in the>Viewport preferences.I can't find this option in Preferences/Viewport or Viewport Configuration.David

Can't seem to find it either at the moment. I know I solved such a problem in the past, I will try to find back how :).

Arno

Guest Firestriker

David,Check and see if you have the Degradaton Override toggle button depressed. It is on the bottom row of icons just to the left of the Snap Toggle icon down by the Animate button.Lou

Guest damo44

>Check and see if you have the Degradaton Override toggle>button depressed. It is on the bottom row of icons just to the>left of the Snap Toggle icon down by the Animate button.That's it!! Thanks Lou, it's working now.Strange that I don't remember touching that control. Maybe that's the defalt in version 1.2.ThanksDavid