Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

XML Scenery SDK specs used, crash at compilation

Guest Mister Binz

Hello everybody,Well, I'm designing a scenery in my hometown, and I want to place night beacons on some landmarks, so I read the scenery specifications in the BGLcomp SDK.Here's my code, and follows the BGLcomp output text :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
Parsing document : chat_eau.xmlERROR C2033: XML Parse Error (line, column, error)ERROR : 9, 17, Element content not valid according to the DTD/scheme.Expecting : AttachedObject.ERROR C2034: XML Parse Fatal Error (line, column, error)ERROR: 10, 50, Blank space expected.ERROR C2470: Unrecoverable error parsing XML!ERROR C2006: Parse failed (0x80004005)ERROR C2003: Failed to process file ; ch.xml
Thank you in advance for your replies.

Hi Mister Binz.Do you simply want a light at these locations? If so, you should place an effect at those points. That would be the first thing to decide. If you really need the rotating beacon, something could be done there.Next, why are you offsetting these lights, and how did you determine the offsets? It is generally easier to determine latitude, longitude and elevation, and place individual objects ( or effects ) in that manner. Again, if they must be placed as offsets, something could be done there as well.I see you are using a unique GUID... Do you have a Gmax-derived MDL, with an attachpoint, that you are offsetting from?We could help walk you through the process of placing an object or effect, but we'd have to start with placing a single object or effect, then work on offsetting ( if that's what you require ), then combining the multiple placements into one BGL. I get the impression you are trying to run without first learning to walk... we've all been there. If you're willing to go step by step, we can certainly help.Dick

Guest Mister Binz

Thanks very much for the answer, Dick :)Well, I found the Beacon paragraph in the BGLcomp SDK and thought it would be OK for what I was looking for, and didn't try attaching an effect because I know someone who tried placing a red night light on an object (a gmax-made object, like I do) but the effect ended really too big when seen from a far point of view.What I'm modelling here are twin urban water tanks (pic here : http://www.antanreel.com/antanreel/images/...valence_gm.jpg).I did determine latitude, longitude and altitude (the coordinates in BiasXYZ are decimal degrees for X&Y, meters for Z), but I don't understand your saying of individually placing effects. Do you mean with AttachTool script in gmax, or using another way ?Mister Binz

Hi Mister Binz.Just to make sure we are on the same page...You've made a Gmaxed object ( chat_eau.mdl ), with a GUID of "F39148D041E5618984F4C1A39A3E81C7", and it has one or more attach points embedded in the object?Or are there no attach points embedded by Gmax?Do you need the rotating beacon, or do you just want a more standard red warning light on top of the towers?Dick

Guest Mister Binz

Well, I didn't put any attach points in gmax...:S (maybe that's why the copilation fails, huh...)

Hi Mister Binz.You don't really need to mess with your object in order to place other objects or effects. Your water tower looks good, so you may not wish to change anything on it. Objects or effects can be placed anywhere in the 3D world, and offset from your water tower's refpoint, as you seemed to want ( makes sense to me ).I don't know why you wanted a scale of 0.3... is this because you feel the default beacon is too big for your tower? The scale affects bias placement, so any offset needs to be multiplied by 3.3334 to accurately place the scaled object in meters. Also, X is west-east placement, Y is altitude, Z is north-south placement. ( Negative X is west, negative Y is negative altitude, negative Z is south. )With the scale as 0.3, the beacon object is made smaller, but the brightness of the effects is the same.The default beacon can be placed anywhere in the sim through XML, but it can't be scaled:The above is at the refpoint, plus 10 meters altitude.To scale the default beacon, it must be attached to an object, then the object can be scaled. You can make a dummy object in Gmax. The dummy can be a plane ( 1x1 meter ) with a material opacity of 0. Then make another 1x1 meter plane with a material opacity of 100. Link Plane_02 to Plane_01. Select Plane_02, run the attach script, choose EMPTY as the attachment type, and name "beacon". ( now the name of Plane_02 will change to "attachpt_beacon" )Save the object and export the MDL. You will be able to compile the XML, and get a library object that is just like the BEACON XML command, but as an object is scaleable. How is this different from the default "gen_beaconland" object? That object doesn't rotate or shine or have the light 'cone'. I'm attaching a dummy beacon library object BGL, and an example of a scaled, biased, placement and a FLT file to view it.There are other possibilities, such as making light objects that use effects. Here's a 9 light, red, OBS light, that has a good viewing distance:http://webpages.charter.net/ludowr/RedObs_9.zipDick

Guest Mister Binz

Thanks, Dick.Sorry I forgot something in my last reply...what I want to place is a red light, I used beacon not thinking of the rotating stuff.The scale 0.3 is for the water towers themselves, as I modeled them to have the right shape, but only realized they were too big when I first checked the compiled scenery.I read in the SDK that X and Y were the latitude and longitude coordinates in decimal degrees, and Z the height in meters ; are you really sure Y is the height ?I'm trying your red light, thanks.

Hi Mister Binz.Y is the altitude.The red light I made should do the trick. It's a Gmax ball with 9 light effcts inside. The effect of the lights is additive... the more lights, the brighter the object is... and the further distance it can be viewed. The default effects are a bit dim in the sim...but adding them seems a good solution.You should be able to offset the light object from your tower refpoint. Make sure to include the library object in your scenery.Dick

Guest Mister Binz

Thanks again,Well, I just tried and it's really good, except in the day...I wonder how to disable it from dawn to sunset ; do you know ?Mister Binz

Guest Mister Binz

Hi Dick, thanks again for your help. I have a last request : the light I wanna represent does not blink...could you fix it, please ? Thanks in advance.Regards,Mister Binz

Hi Mister Binz.That requires a new effect, as the default OBS lights blink. And as long as we're making a new effect, why not just place that effect with XML code, and forget the GMaxed bulb with attached effects?Here's a zipped file that has a new effect, and some example XML code to place it:http://webpages.charter.net/ludowr/fx_obslight_steady.zipThe code will show a strong light at night, dim at dusk and dawn, and no light during the day... with no blinking.Dick