Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeW

What software is used for creating airports?

Guest Ruahrc

I am wanting to make some improvements to some small airports in my home area- but I don't know which software is used for doing so? Are there any freeware programs that will allow me to enhance airports? I mainly just want to improve the shape of the terminal buildings as the default ones are inaccurate.Ruahrc

If you want to change the buildings you have two options I think.One would be to use SceneGenX and place some new buildings with more correct shapes (but they would still look really like the default).The other option, better in my opinion, is to make them in GMax. Then you can make them as real as you want. Later you can then place this new building with the XML code or SceneGenX as well.Btw, this is all assuming you are using Fs2004.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Ruahrc

How hard is it to use gmax? I think it is a bit too complicated for what I want to do? I do not know anything about modeling and also do not have any source material (other than a satellite photo) to work with.ScenegenX looks like it only goes up to FS2002? Is there a 2004 version out somewhere or does it work for 2004 anyways?Ruahrc

If you are not planning to do a complete redesign of the terminal, GMax is probably too complex indeed. You can then better try to model it using default buildings and placing them on the proper places to get the shape you want.SceneGenX is for Fs2004 only, as it uses the new XML style commands of Fs2004. You can download it from www.airportforwindows.com. You are probably looking at Airport, which is for the pre Fs2004 versions of FS.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest JoeW

The runways and taxiways and aprons can be changed with AFCAD2 by Lee Swordy. This will make default style runways and taxiways. For the buildings and objects ... Airport for Windows. GMax wont install in everyones computer, for some reason.

Guest ranlod1

How can you change aprons in AFCAD2, I did not think this was possible?Thanks

Guest JoeW

Start the program, open the airport, click on the apron, add or move to you hearts content. You can change the properties from concrete to asphalt or even oilsoaked. Runways can even be steel mesh.Joe W.