Sign in to follow this  
Guest daveg4otu

Curious about File naming

Guest daveg4otu

Recently I have been trying to get to grips with mdltobgl with the idea of populating an addon airfield I'm working on with a few suitable aircraft. After a few false starts I finally got it to work using some old FS98 addon aircaft. Fine , until I tried a KC135 by Ken Blank as the basis for conversion to an API. The conversion worked - I placed the API using FSSC but then FSSC wouldn't compile the scenery - giving errors on every line of the KC135 API file where there were .xAF files needed. Looking at the textures I noticed that they all had names incorporating a "("symbol eg:KC-135(.0AF etc.I renamed them all without the "(", and edited the API file to remove the"(" and then it compiled OK .( And worked OK in FS9)My question is simple - Why ? is the "(" an illegal symbol as far as FSSC is concerned? If so are there any others that I should be aware of in future.MTIADave

I guess SCASM gets confused, because brackets are also used in the commands, like LoadBitmap( 0 6 EF 0 0 0 test.bmp ). So it is probably thinking a new command is started then. Probably placing quotes around the texture name would also have solved your problem.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest JoeW

I hate to keep harping on this, but....... Why place static aircraft in scenery? Make a traffic file and include it. You can have the aircraft sit 6 days a week and do TNG's on the one day... Making a traffic file is much easier on the frames than placing a static one and it looks more real.My 2 cents...Joe W.

Guest daveg4otu

That's fine Joe - if you want to use AI traffic- which I don't. As most of my actual flying is done online with VATSIM , AI traffic doesn't come into it.This is really just more like a bit of window dressing ( no pun intended). If and when this particular(Military) scenery gets finished and uploaded I figure those that want AI can add it themselves - to suit themselves.Those that just want the static aircraft can have them by setting scenery complexity to extremely dense. Those that don't can just back off one step and they'll all disappear.I should add that this thing I'm working on is an airfield which is set in the 70s, and no longer exists in the RW - the runways etc having been totally removed a few years ago.Dave