Sign in to follow this  
Guest GCBarni

Coastline and SBuilder

Guest GCBarni

In an attempt to make an adjustment to an incorrect default chunk of shoreline, I got a copy of SBuilder, read a couple of tutorials, and after some initial failure(s), eventually completed my project. One troublesome aspect remains however....when isn't there? I have gaps at either end of my section of beach where they butt against the default. If I try to end exactly on the start of the adjacent default strip, it is 'erased'; thus I have to stop just short and a gap is the result.I read about editing the *.asm file prior to compiling to *.bgl wherein the final "1" is changed to "0" within the "VTPLayer" entry. In my case, that value is already at "0".Can anyone suggest what I might be neglecting or some other solution?

Guest luissa

Hi,I had some difficult in understanding the description of the problem. It seems that if you start a second VTP line precisely on the point where you terminated a first one, either the first one or the second one will not show. So you are creating gaps. Here are some comments:1 - I did not know this problem2 - SBuilder produces intermediate SCASM files (*.SCM) prior to final BGL compilation. Through these files you can changes VTP layer parameters manually. However the intermediate files are not ASM type but SCM. I have no idea of the 1 versus 0 layer number.3 - You can join lines inside SBuilder - just pick one line, drag and release the line when the "start point" is over the "end point" of the other line. May be this reduces the problem.Kind Regards, Luis

Guest GCBarni

Ok, I'll see if I can explain further. Let's say there is shoreline between points A and B which is wrong. A is the end of a default. B is the start of a default. I'm going to insert modified shoreline in between these two points. If I attempt to place my start point on A and my end point on B, my texture displays fine, but the default texture before A and the default texture after B will disappear. If I start just after A and finish just before B, then default textures display and so does my new shore....but, there will be a gap of course between A and the start of my line and a gap between the end of my line and B. In other words, if I make my line the correct length to cover the space between A and B, the textures on either side of my line disappear. If I make my line just a little shorter than the space between A and B, then everything displays, but there are gaps between the default lines at A and mine; and at mine and B.

Guest luissa

Hello,Now I fully understand the problem. Here are some more comments:1) When you add a line between A and B, you need to make a choice. Your line should replace the default or it should coexist with the default one. I am assuming that there is some default lne between A and B. If you are using SB, there is an option for this "replace/coexist" switch. I assume that you are using "replace".2) The described switch applies to a particular layer number. If you declare your line as having a layer number of N, all VTP features with the same layer number of N, in that region, would be replaced (excluded).3) In 2) I used the word region. Region means Cell. VTP features are defined on a Cell basis.I suspect (I am not sure!) that you are using "replace". Therefore if your line starts at A it will exclude all lines in the Cell where A belongs. A similar thing will happen at B.Then if you start your line at point A1 (with A1 on a different Cell of A) than the default line terminating at A will be retained. A similar situation could occur at B.Please confirm if that is the case.Kind Regards, Luis

Guest GCBarni

Luis,Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I am indeed replacing a chunk of default coastline.The particular area is a point of land. I used CellGrid to describe a grid over this area. The "squares" that are of interest are 24_16, 24_17 and 25_16, 25_17 with the 24's to the north.The actual beach being altered lies in the two "24" boxes and the one called 25_16 which is to the southwest. Therefore, 25_17 doesn't come into play except as part of the photo. Now, I assume these boxes are individual cells, correct?This being the case, I'm attempting to start and end _my_ beach on the dividing lines between the boxes. When I do that, then I lose the adjacent default texture. But if I stop my line just before(or after, depending upon direction) the dividing lines, then the default displays.....but there's a gap between it and my new one.

Guest GCBarni

For those who may have been following this thread, here's the latest that I have managed to come up with. After a bit more research, and digging into a menu for my line application, I discovered a box that was checked for "Replacement". I changed that designation to an option box which allows for my line to "coexist with default". In other words, my shoreline rides over top of the default. While this isn't an absolute solution, because obviously the result depends upon the skill of how well I can place my line, it is preferrable to having the gaps and turned out not too badly for first attempt.This option isn't discussed within the help files for the program.