Sign in to follow this  
Guest btrpilot

Gmax scale problems

Guest btrpilot

Hello all,I downloaded a static aircraft collection for Gmax and modified the source file to include only the aircraft I wanted(B1900), I then centered the plane (where the two black lines cross on the grid) and exported the MDL file. When I fired up FS to check it out, the plane was gigantic!(see attached screenshot) I did get a message before exporting the MDL saying that my object was in a measurement other than meters. How can I reduce the scale in either Gmax or the XML file? Thanks for your help, I'm still learning this Gmax stuff ;-)Brandon

Guest Firestriker

Brandon,Those models were originally produced for the original FS2002 makemdl.exe so they are modeled in a System Unit Scale of 1 unit = 1 inch. All later version of makemdl use the System Unit Scale of 1 unit = 1 meter. As you can see there are 39.37 inches to a 1 meter. This is why they come out so huge as they are calculated at 39.37 x 1 meter. To fix the problem takes some practice till you get the process down in your mind. The best way I have found is to first research the aircraft for its actual dimensions. Then build a reference box that is the proper dimensions for the aircraft and then use the uniform scale to scale it down the fit the box. Once that is done, you will need to recenter and apply an X-Form Reset to the object(s) or you will still get huge results. Also, before applying the X-Form Reset to the object(s) you should unlink and ungroup any objects as this seems to cause problems. Then relink and regroup as necessary. Actually, grouping is not necessary for anything other than FS2002 flyable aircraft models for the interior and exterior, but there is even a work around for that. I never "group" anything for FS as I see no point to it anymore and linking to be more useful for modeling purposes. Lou

Guest btrpilot

>Those models were originally produced for the original FS2002>makemdl.exe so they are modeled in a System Unit Scale of 1>unit = 1 inch. Why can't I just change the system unit scale?? (I tried this and it didn't work for some reason)Is it possible to simply rescale the model to the correct dimensions in the XML file??I was able to resize using the auto resize feature, but I lost the textures for the B1900. How can I fix this? Some of the other models still have their textures.How do I make a refrence box? And where do I find the uniform scale feature? I'm still pretty new to Gmax.Thanks for helping me out Lou, I'm trying to get a scenery finished for my virtual airline and I appreciate the fast reply.Brandon

When you place an object with the XML code you will see something like this:[tt][/tt]With the scale parameter in there it should be possible to fix it, although setting up GMax in the correct dimensions is of course better for future objects ;).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Firestriker

Brandon,I have reworked these, scaled and optimized them. You can check them out and see if they work for you now. They are still not purfect but they are better.ftp//oregon-coast.net/Hanger/beech1900DAT.zipftp//oregon-coast.net/Hanger/beech1900_OYJRF.zipLou

Guest btrpilot

I tried the address but I couldn't find the site - can you send me a link? I'm assuming the first part is supposed to be "http://"

ftp:// seems to work for me.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest btrpilot

I got it downloaded. I'll try it out..Thanks Lou,Brandon

Guest btrpilot

I exported the file and compiled both of them okay, but FS froze up when I tried to load them. Can somebody try compiling them and send me the BGL files? Maybe its just my program. My coordinates are:lat="39 50.02" lon="-104 39.83"Thanks,Brandon