Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

Aerial Photo Size and Resolution in FS2002

Guest dflores989

I am constructing some custom scenery to use with FS2002. I have some aerial photos that are 2m resolution. I have read that the textures in FS are 4.75m resolution. Should I consider using the higher resolution images?I have als read that I need a image size of 2560x2560 to support a 5x5 PTG with 512x512 pixel textures. Is this only for FS2004 or for both FS2002 and FS2004?Does this mean I need to resize all of my images?. I have some images that were sized to work with Terrabuilder Pro (i.e. 4096x4096) Will these images work if I resize them to 5120x5120?Any help would be greatly appreciated.Dave

If you plan to place the images using either the sdk tools, resample.exe or terrabuilder, then don't worry about calculating initial image size based on final image coverage texture area, the resampling process redistributes (resamples!) the data into a new pixel count.I'm not really clear what you are worried about. If you use 2m/pixel images they will be automatically resampled to 4.75 (approximately) by the resampling tool. I prefer to use a better resampler than resample.exe, so I resample the images my self using photoshop, but do as you please.One trick that's worth exploring (if you use usgs images directly) would be to take your 2m/pixel images and save a copy resampled at 4.75m/pixel. Now take the smaller image (4.75m/pixel) and convert it from the UTM projection usgs uses, into the geodetic projection used by fs. A process for this using freeware tools is available in this forum. I'm betting that doing this will produce an image that is skewed, slightly squished and stretched in different axes. Anyway, then using a good graphics program, layer the 2m/pixel image over the reprojected image, and distort the 2m/pixel layer until it fits over the reprojected 4.75 pixel. I found the resultant quality to be very pleasing.Enjoy,Bob Bernstein