Sign in to follow this  
ShezA

Ground2K textures

Are we able use very large textures with Ground2k (i.e. 2048x2048)?ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Use as what? I think as a background image it should be no problem, I have used bigger ones without trouble (only takes some loading time of course).But all textures placed with VTP polygons show only until there 256x256 mip, that is what gives you the 4.8 meter per pixel resolution, so for the textures you place it makes no sense to make them that big.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Sorry I meant VTP Polygons. That is what I wanted to confirm. The 256x256 photoreal textures I intend to use sometimes overlap so it would have been nice to combine them into a large one. I guess the other way would be to use VTP1 polygons which can be cut into sections.BTW what is the best method in G2K4 to make equal sized squares?ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest ScottR

Hi Shez,Best options for laying large photoreal textures are Luis Sa's Scenery Builder, or Misho Katulic's Terrabuilder lite. SBuilder uses the latest scasm to generate the bgl and texture slices, while Terrabuilder uses the old resample.exe.I find Terrabuilder best for really large areas especially where you want to expose a water layer underneath, but Sbuilder has a neat way of merging the photoreal textures into the default.Regards

Do these programs use the same method as G2K4? If SBuilder produces SCASM ground polys then it would overlay the SGX taixways. I only need to lay ground textures for an airport in square tiles and G2K4 uses a 'drawing' method which would prove to be very difficult to execute when trying to get equal sized VTP2 polygons laid out next to each other.However, G2K4 is excellent for laying for example a texture on the ground underneath (like for eg. the desert texture required for my under dev PSP scenery).ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Hi Shez,>Do these programs use the same method as G2K4? If SBuilder>produces SCASM ground polys then it would overlay the SGX>taixways. I only need to lay ground textures for an airport in>square tiles and G2K4 uses a 'drawing' method which would>prove to be very difficult to execute when trying to get equal>sized VTP2 polygons laid out next to each other.No, SBuilder makes VTP polygons, but then with SCASM code. So your AFCAD scenery will still show on top of them.The basic difference is that SBuilder uses VTP polygons and TerraBuilder uses resample. This means that for SBuilder the textures should go into the worldtexture world (I don't really like this, as that can make distribution complexer, but unfortunately it works that way), while when the photo scenery is placed with resample the textures go in the local texture folder.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Interesting. Thanks Arno. I must try installing SBuilder again. Gave instllation errors last time I tried. Will also try Terrabuilder.Shez

Shez Ansari