Sign in to follow this  
Guest hefy_jefy

Attach Point rotation

Guest hefy_jefy

So I read everything in the 2004 SDK and it looked very easy. I found the scenery object that I wanted (gen_beconlandcone) and then attached it to an object in Gmax, then animated both objects in the usual way, -it looked fine in Gmax. But in the sim the light beam rotated 90 degrees so it was pointing straight up, and presumably is rotating around its own long vertical axis, while the original gmax object continued rotating as expected. I came across this a while back in the early days of Gmax - but I can't remember the trick. I tried rotating the pivot and the attach point through 90 but that didn't work.I am trying to reproduce the excellent MS rotating airport beacons, I located all the scenery objects that I needed but could not figure out how to join the three together, (base, lamp, and light) so resorted to my own base in gmax....Any ideas?Geoff

My first guess would be to try to rotate the object you use the attachscript on.Another option is this I think (not tested it):In the XML code (you can find it in the properties of the object) add the rotation to the attachpoint.It should look like this (example from the SDK):[tt]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>[/tt]And hopefully you can add the pitch, roll, etc like shown below:[tt][/tt]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Geoff.Do you want the original rotating beacon towers?=================================================================================That's how they are coded in XML. type can be "CIVILIAN" or "MILITARY"baseType can be "AIRPORT", "SEA_BASE", or "HELIPORT"Substitute other values as needed. If you just want a rotating beacon without the tower, then you can download this zip in which I already did the legwork:http://webpages.charter.net/ludowr/RhumbaBeacon.zipNo attaching is needed... just place it on whatever you want, as it's a stand-alone rotating light.Dick

Guest hefy_jefy

Hey guys thanks!Two solutions in one day, I'll give both a try...Geoff

Guest hefy_jefy

Thanks Dick,Just what I was looking for!I feel a bit lazy though, I hadn't realized that all the "clever stuff" was built into the MS scenery object.Your standalone beacon will a great help...Geoff