Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Makemdl dialog box closes automatically??

Guest AAustin50

Hi. First post here so please bear with me.. :)Curious as to why, when I export a new mdl file out of gmax, to FS2004 scenery/addon, the makemdl dialog closes before I can enter lat/long? It didn't do this w/FS2002 Pro. It does create the mdl/xml files and puts them in the folder but makemdl doesn't let me manually enter lat/long or select any options. I'm using current gmax and have installed gmax SDKs.Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Guest Firestriker

Read the gmaxSceneryTutorial.doc that comes with the gamepack, it gives you the steps required to export successfully.Lou

MakeMDL for FS2004 is different to that for FS2002. You don't now enter lat/long into MakeMDL.MakeMDL now creates a sample .XML file that contains a dummy lat/long. You should change this to the lat/long you need. Then compile it to put the exported object into the scene.See the latest SDK for details.

Guest AAustin50

Thanks for the replies. Got it to work finally. The "new" way of exporting scenery seems like a step backwards, having to go into DOS to finish creating the BGL?? Geesh, what a pain in the arse!I guess, like anything else, once you get used to it it's not so bad.To make matters worse, gotta pay at Topozone to get lat/long coordinates now??! I'm getting too old for this aggravation... :)

I never used to old way, but the new way allows the same model to be put in different places by changing the coordinates in the XML file, renaming it, then recompiling it. Did the old way allow this?

Guest AAustin50

Yes. When you exported your model out of gmax you simply entered whatever lat/long you wanted and that's where your model went. The model itself wasn't changed.

Guest rellek01

No need for DOS. Just open the XML file with notepad, edit the coordinates you want, and drag and drop the XML file onto the bglcomp icon and presto, you have your new scenery bgl in the same folder!Rellek

Guest AAustin50

Thanks for the tip Rellek. Works great! That saves a bunch of unnecessary typing.

Guest Gator40019

Hey All,I am going through the same issue. Converting some old scenery to 2k4. I was trying to recompile a portion to not detect crash impact. There is no wasy to take off the setting if the options are not made available. The info seems ambiguous in the sdk (what else is new???)*:-* Any how ... any suggestions or hints where I could turn this off in the xml file?

Hi all.I suggest you visit the Moriarty Industries and obtain the freeware MDL Commander.http://hometown.aol.de/_ht_a/docmoriarty3/fs2002/en/It still works with Gmax's FS9 incarnation, and will allow you to use the check boxes of the new MakeMDL... which in turn allows you to uncheck crash detection, save the ASM code, save the x files, etc...You still need to master XML to place objects. And you'll need BGLC_9 to recompile ASM code if you decide to hack the ASM output before compiling the MDL ( remember to rename BGLC_9's output as .mdl ).BGLC_9 is found here:http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59You can still tweak the MDL without hacking the ASM code by using Arno's MDL Tweaker:http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26Dick

Guest Gator40019

Thank You Sir,I will also try your suggestions. I'm looking for all options. I found an option in the gmax sdk to use attachtoolgmax.ms to shut off the crashbox. It seems if you change one object it changes all of them in the scene. I have been exporting the jetways seperate from the terminal for frame rate reasons. I then compiled the mdls into bgls using the 'approved' method. This left the whole terminal without crash detection when I only wanted to export the jetways without detection. Your way seems to give me that option. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks again,:-wave

Hi Steve.My experience with the attachtool's NoCrash is that if you select a part of the object, then run the tool, just that part will have the crashbox removed... which is probably what you want. Then if that part is selected, and you look at Gmax'x properties for that part, this is what it looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> <FSMakeMdlData version-"9.0"><NoCrash/></FSMakeMdlData>

The other parts should not have that code.Dick