Sign in to follow this  
edgarone

Problem trying to convert Ground2K4 project to a FS2002...

Guest kimdahl

Hi all!My name is Kim Dahl, and I am working on the coast lines, rivers etc. for a new version of the Copenhagen Scenery for FS2002 and FS2004, and my part of the project consists of several Ground2K projects, made with Ground2K4 V5.32. Until recently I have been able to to make FS2002 compatible bgl files using the converter by Edgar Knobloch and then re-opening the converted lwm files in Ground2K. But now I get the following error message when trying to open two of the projects:Erreur d'ex

Hello Kim,Unfortunately, that error message means nothing to me, in particular. Does this mean that your modifications are appearing after the end of file in the LWM document? Only Christian Fumey could answer that, I guess, so perhaps you could contact him.But, I am curious as to why you are trying to convert your projects to a Ground2K format. As I understand it, files produced with Ground2K4 should work fine in FS2002. In fact, I make all my projects using Ground2K4 and run them without problems in FS2002. The only caveat is to respect the layer numbers for each version of the game when making exclude files.So, if this is correct, you do not have to convert your projects at all. Just change the layer numbers to the FS2002 standard and generate the bgls. Try them and you will probably see that they work well.Best regards.Luis

Hello,unfortunately I have no explanation either for that particular problem. But Kim could send me the projectfile. Maybe I can fix a flaw in the converter.I fully understand the desire of Kim to produce a FS2002-compatible-as-possible scenery. In my opinion that means also using the default layers for the VTP objects (lines, polygons etc.), not only the exclude layers. And even to correct only these layers everytime you want to compile a slightly changed version for FS2k2 is a major effort.Here my utility should support the process. Not perfectly, I'am afraid :)In my opinion a scenery should use the default layers for the VTP objects according to the FS version (if possible). This makes the interaction and control between different sceneries much easier.Imagine a scenery, which you want on top, setting its scenery manager layer number to "top" and there is another scenry down the stack, which uses shorelines on layer 66 - they are always on top of everything and your sceneries exclude layers won't work probably either.Cheers,Edgar

Guest kimdahl

Hello Edgar!I have decided to follow the advice from Luis and not use your converter for the FS2002 files. Instead I am making the adjustments for FS2002 by hand, and it is not as difficult as I had feared. I just have to exclude two more layers and then be careful not to draw new lines in those layers (especially layer no. 32 which seems to be a favourite of Ground2K4!) And then off course substitute the "deadly" railroad lines :-)But thanks anyway for your kind offer to help me with this problem.Best regards

Howdy,if I may add one idea/approach:To make the compatible projects, I start with a duplicate copy of the original (finished) FS9 G2K4 project file and rename it to *_FS8.lwm. Then I open that lwm file in Wordpad, change the name in the first line, give the bgl files a similar _FS8 suffix in lines 0030 and 0031, and then make as many changes as possible directly in the text editor, particularly the layer numbers of VTP lines and polys.The direct editing doesn't work well with excludes because of the way they are coded in the lwm file. However, I do most of the excludes externally with DefArea and then they can be changed quickly with a text editor (the raw asm file).Anyway, just wanted to suggest a possible shortcut to avoid the "click fest" in G2K4 changing layers and excludes.Cheers, Holger

Well, Holger,this is almost the same approach of my converter program: Take a copy of the original and exchange layer numbers and some G2k format stuff. I hoped to automate this process with the converter.Rereading this thread I have to mention something, which might answer Luis legitimate question, why to use g2k (v3) at all in that process.The converter can convert between different g2k version and between different FS versions (without changing the g2k version and format).That means, you don't have to use G2k to produce FS2002 sceneries. You can stay with one version of G2k4 and just do the layer adaption with the converter.At least you could do it, when the converter works. I would appreciate reproducable bug reports, which help me to fix problems.Cheers,Edgar

My apologies, Edgar. I have not used your converter, and so have not had the opportunity to see how very useful it is. Many thanks for generously providing it, along with your other great tools.Best regards.Luis

Guest kimdahl

Hello Edgar and Luis!When I wrote that I had followed the advice from Luis NOT to use the converter for my FS2002 files, I didn't mean to say anything bad about your converter, Edgar. You know, the converter has worked for me before, with slightly different versions of the same projects, I just thought that it might be faster in this case to convert them manually instead of waiting for the technical solution to some sort of bug. We have a scenery project that we would very much like to send into beta testing in a few days, so I just have to get those FS2002 files ready (and I'm almost at the finishing line), but off course I will send you the lwm projects (both original and converted) plus the converter ini-file, so you can try reproducing what has gone wrong.Best regards

Whoops, I hope, I didn't sound like there is an apology necessary... :)I think, I have to brush up my english, to provide better documentation in the first place.If the pressure of your deadline stops, Kim, I would like to sort out these converter problems with your help.Cheers,Edgar

Just for the records:With Kim's help and support I was able to locate and fix a bug in g2k4conv, which crashed the converter, when you had more than 999 remesh points. I uploaded the fixed version 1.1 on avsim called 'g2k4conv11.zip'. It should appear soon.Regards, Edgar