Sign in to follow this  
Guest torbusara

Getting lost with LWM and Autoasm please help.

Guest torbusara

It's took 2 weeks to sort everythings out and finally success with VTP road in FS9 by convert .shp road in to vtp by Autoasm. Using both picture from Terrascene and by import .mp data. Now come to LWM part, still no success after trying many times. First I test with stock bitmap "LosAngeles"Here are my steps.1. load Losangeles in to Autoasm from main panel.2. load Losangeles.bmp from editor panel. Area fill with blue color appear on screen.3. From editor panel I press "Unsolid", blue area change into polygon with blue line4. Going to Line Panel , I assign line from 3. to " 1050,water,both,70,0,3,8,8,60" 5. Click Repair bitmap , then search , then use editor to correct any line error , Finally I got a green banner.5. Click READ DATA from fixed panel (Auto fill checked.)6. Click Write LWM 7. Click Write VTPeveything seem ok,except the result. after loading into LWM Viewer , it look like this , seem that lwm area are filled with thousand of shoreline.Please help me, I think I miss something from Autoasm Manual.

Guest cwright

Hi, it looks like you've done all the right things. Getting the green banner on a new bitmap is a major milestone - it should guarantee that all LWM polygons will read in correctly - usually! It might be worth reading in the TS_demo project - there are no errors and it has VTP and LWM polygons. This will at least show that you can read in LWM polygons without problems. Having to use Unsolid for the losangeles bitmap is an extra complication that could create problems. As I said, you did all the right things. I don't believe I've seen this problem before so I don't know what to suggest. If you could email the project to me I'd be happy to take a look at it. Send three files: the bitmap and the .ini and .dat files in the settings directory. If the project is losangeles they'll be losangeles.ini and losangeles.dat. Alternatively you could display the bitmap on the forum. It might be possible to spot the problem from that. There's probably a simple explanation, but I may need to see the files to find it! Best regards, Chris

Guest Horst

Hallo torbusara,a)Save the repaired bitmap, before you read the bitmap.b)Do not use randomize 60, use 0c)When using Read Data check

Guest torbusara

Thank you for you reply. Today I spend a few how to play with it again. I think I can fix it now . After I got a green banner, I have to save "good" bitmap back overide old file.That's the trick :-jumpy Thank you very much for help. By the way , could you please give a short tutorial on how to create terrain in Autoasm. I want to try this new function.

Guest cwright

Hi, I'm glad it's working now. Actually, after I wrote my post it did occur to me that that might occur if you still had a solid polygon.... From your screenshot I see you're getting the hang of it! Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have the time to update all the documentation and to write some new tutorials. But here are a few guidelines for creating terrain mesh: 1. You need the tools from the SDK: resample, tmfmerge and tmf2bgl - put them in the terrain sub-directory. 2. The program makes the process a lot more convenient, but you still need to have a reasonably good understanding of the process of creating terrain mesh. It's certainly worth looking at the SDK. 3. As an experiment, you can draw a test terrain bitmap. It should be an 8 bit, monochrome bitmap, with pixel sizes a multiple of 4 (e.g. 4000*4000). The brighter the pixel, the higher the corresponding terrain. 4. You'll need to choose the LOD level - 9 might be a good value to start with. When you set the bounds, be sure that the entire LOD square is 'covered' by the bitmap, otherwise the terrain might not appear at all. I'll see if I can write a terrain mesh tutorial in the next few days. It's actually quite fun creating mesh. I think the only help in the manuals is in the Panels section - look for the Terrain panel. Best regards, Chris

Guest torbusara

I have some experience in create terrain by GRISSES50 which use raw gray scale image concept. But now we have SRTM3 so I move to SRTM2BGL without problem. Just one question normally "NumOfCellsPerLine" is "bitmapwidth - 1". How about autoasm should it be like that ? Actually I need some direction about Generic Textuer which correspondence to color index you mention in the manual. Could you plese point out which MS scenery SDK I can find the answer. I already look in to autogen SDK and Terrain SDK (for fs9) but found nothing.

Guest cwright

>I have some experience in create terrain by GRISSES50 which>use raw gray scale image concept.AutoAsm works in a similar way to Grisses50, except that it uses bitmaps instead of raw. But now we have SRTM3 so I>move to SRTM2BGL without problem. Just one question normally>"NumOfCellsPerLine" is "bitmapwidth - 1". How about autoasm>should it be like that ? Yes, it should follow the same rules.>>Actually I need some direction about Generic Textuer which>correspondence to color index you mention in the manual. Could>you plese point out which MS scenery SDK I can find the>answer. I already look in to autogen SDK and Terrain SDK (for>fs9) but found nothing. The FS9 Terrain SDK has a very brief section on landclss. It includes a table of landclass values, which is useful. I'm not sure which other SDK's have more information on landclass. To create an area of city landclass:1. Create an 8 bit, colour bitmap, size 512*512. Name it terrain.bmp and place it in the project sub-directory inside the terrain sub-directory. Each colour index that you paint with corresponds directly with the landclass type in the table (e.g. zero is water).2. Let's choose Large City Urban Non Grid Dry. In the table you'll see it's number 104. From the palette in the paint program, choose colour index 104 and paint the area for the city.3. To cover the rest of the bitmap with rain forest, you could fill it with colour index 20. That's it. Colour index 254 is transparent, so the default landclass will show under it. To make things a bit easier, you could adjust the displayed colours by editing the palette e.g. grey for 104 and green for 20. Best regards, Chris>>

Guest torbusara

>2. Let's choose Large City Urban Non Grid Dry. In the table>you'll see it's number 104. From the palette in the paint>program, choose colour index 104 and paint the area for the>city.>That is the information I am looking for. Thank you very much for your help.Autoasm make scenery design for a large area much more quicker and easier. Once again Thank you very much for you wonderful program. torbusara.