Sign in to follow this  
Guest copilots

Secret airfield

Guest copilots

Hi everyone,I walked into my little cousin's room the other day and he was watching a cartoon called Swatkats. Basically its a couple of bad-#### cats who fly something that looks like a F-14 helping the cops fight crime. They stage out of a secret airfield under a junk yard. Basically everythings underground including the runway, which slopes up towards the surface at the end, with a big panel which slides back revealing the end of the runway.Now as far as I can tell we can't go underground in flightsim, so I was thinking about doing something similar, but in this case into the side of a mountain. Any ideas? I've also never built mountains in flightsim. Where do I start? Thanks guys.Cheers.

Guest LH744

I remember watching that, it was great, it still on?? That was a great program! Yeh, sorry, erm, for the mountain, isnt there a mesh SDK or somethign?

Guest jimkeir

Hi.Interesting idea. Mesh doesn't allow for caves and overhangs etc. Maybe you could do something by creating mesh with a hole where your mountain base is as if you'd hollowed it out from above, then creating a GMax object that looks like a section of mountainside to form the roof.I've not used GMax, but I think it's possible to animate the models. If so, with a little module programming you could also have some kind of proximity trigger, sliding a door object out the way when a plane with a certain callsign approaches. Yeah! And *then* you could add in some kind of aircraft-carrier steam launcher so you just press the button and get catapulted out of the secret base at high speed! (Obviously you don't wanna do this with a Cessna though). Hey, did anyone ever do a model of one of the planes the Angels flew in Captain Scarlet?Ahem...Alternatively (and much more easily) how about settling for something like the Airwolf secret base, a hollowed-out mesa? You could do that with mesh.Cheers,Jim

Guest copilots

Hey thanks guys. But keep the ideas coming. I guess I was looking for an easy way. Will have to play with it a bit. I've never used GMax or made mesh before, so it should be an experience. While we're on the subject of 'ahem' other old programs, anybody remember Stingray, or the Terrorhawks. Talk about secret bases...lol.I was thinking about making the approach lighting and the doors with Nova. If you guys remember it comes with a freq. activated macro. So just punch a frequency into NAV1 and the doors slide back and the lights pop up. Anyway something along those lines.Cheers.