Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Rotating Beacon

Using FSDS, what is the best way to create a civilian airport rotating beacon? I've played with it without the results I was looking for. Animation is good but light beam is problematic.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

I used the standard "light_land" name for my beacon. It worked, but it didn't look as good as the standard MS beacon. It was a lot of trial and error to get it right, and in the end, I broke down and figured out how to add the "real" one using XML. I seem to remember another guy who had created one, but you'll have to search back through the forum for that.- Martin

I tried several things in FSDS. Finally, I used SceneGenX to place a generic one. Its on a tower frame and I need a pole instead but then life isn't always perfect.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Guest GCBarni

This is a copy of one that "Rhumbaflappy" (Dick) made for me using the default beacon except he 'removed' the tower that is attached. I guess it was the 'attach point' that he altered in the XML code. Just follow the instructions in his *.txt file.I had asked him at the time if he considered posting it to the Scenery Design Libraries for others to access, but his reply was rather non-committal and since that time, this is at least the second thread I've seen whereby the writer is looking for a solution to this beacon problem with respect to design.I don't think Dick will mind my doing this....at least I hope not(grin).

Hi all.I don't mind at all. It's just the attachpoint for the beacon... no object at all. So you can place it anywhere in 3d space.In XML:

<SceneryObject	lat = "0.0"	lon = "0.0"	alt = "0.0"	altitudeIsAgl = "TRUE"	pitch = "0.0"	bank = "0.0"	heading = "0.0"	imageComplexity = "SPARSE">	<LibraryObject		 name = "17FFB8074F01AF4D7A60BE84063F3CF0"		 scale = "1.0"/>	<AttachedObject	   attachpointName = "attachpt_beacon"	   pitch = "0.0"	   bank = "0.0"	   heading = "0.0">	   <Beacon type = "CIVILIAN" baseType= "AIRPORT"/>	</AttachedObject></SceneryObject>

Dick