Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnC

Crazy GMAX/transparency problem...

Hi there,Just when I though GMAX was my friend, it turned on me. All I'm trying to do is make a semi-transparent window for my control tower. THere is no applied texture - just a dark blue window with the opacity set at 75%. It looks good in GMAX...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/88860.jpg...but when I export it (using the FS2004 gamepack) the window part is rotated 90 degrees around the center of the tower.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/88861.jpgWhen I change teh opacity back to 100%, it is exported normally. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/88862.jpgAny ideas why this happens? It is very frustrating. The window part is a seperate part from the rest of the control tower, each with their own material properties. At first I thought that I had linked the window part to another part, and that it was somehow getting rotated, so I deleted it and created a new one from scratch, but it was still getting exported in the rotated position.- Martin

Hi Martin,I've had similar results before with linked LODs in which I accidentally linked a platform into a discrete LOD group instead of keeping it at the top level. However, from what you've said this would not seem to be the case with your model. Did you try making a glass material with the same color/opacity properties and applying it? It might get around the problem with as little hassle as possible. Just a thought.

Martin, Have you tried to attach the window to the tower? Only a workaround idea, I haven't had this happen so I'm unsure as to why.Bob B

I would attach it to the tower like Bob said, or I would make sure that the pivot point of the glass is centered properly; you can do that under Hierarchy.

It's fixed, and the worst part is "I don't even know what I did".After I tried your suggestions, it still didn't work. So, I went back, and deleted the part, and rebuilt it (just the window part). It still didn't work, so I played around with different opacity settings, and applying textures and such. The window "glass" part would only appear in the correct spot when the opacity was set to 100.So, I started from scratch again, and rebuilt the part, and what do you know - now it works. It's nice that my problem i fixed, but I'm a little frustrated with myself at not learning anything from the experience. :(Thanks again for the ideas.- Martin

Guest JohnC

I remember setting FS9 with all sliders to the left so it would load quicker, then after exporting something at a normal level would wonder why NO object was visible.....