Sign in to follow this  
Guest btrpilot

Static aircraft

Hi All,If this has been discussed earlier then please forgive. What I would like to achieve is to insert a static aircraft of the same type that I fly for a Cargo VA.To explain further, the VA uses two addon hangers at an airfield and I have placed some cargo and vehicles around the spot where I taxi in and out of. I would like to place another aircraft in front of the second hanger. I have tried using MDLtoBGL but it keeps crashing out.I wondered how some of the designers make and place the statics that come with their addon airports.Hope this makes some sense. Any and all ideas appreciated.Thanks

Just get a low poly AI version, assign it a parking spot and not connect it to the taxiway, instant static! LOLI personally don't use statics, prefer AI. If you must, use M98toBGL, it's the earler version and works better than the later, but usually only on FS98 models, anything later has to many polys anyway.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/PBTMCa.jpgCalVirAir International VACalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Michael, thanks for the prompt reply, I appreciate it. But (there's always a but) I would want to place an aircraft of the same type as we use in the VA ie a Dash 7 with the VA Livery. Is there a way to convert the model I fly into an AI version? If so then what you suggest would be great.Thanks

Guest btrpilot

Hi Alba, MDL to BGL doesn't work at all with high poly or GMAX designed models. Option 1(AI) is to download a low poly model meant for AI, (like Project AI) repaint it in your VA's livery, and add it to your AI traffic. This method is much easier, unless you fly online a lot like I do. Here is the way I do it... Option 2(Static) Download a Gmax source file, (I believe www.freeflightdesign.com has a Dash 7) export it as a scenery object file, place it where you want it in FS and and then repaint it in your VA's livery. I just finished a static B1900 in my VA's livery using this method, its lots of work, but the results are rewarding ;-) Best Regards,Brandon RuizSkiAir Virtual"Serving the ski areas of the Rockies" www.pookiedom.com/skiair

Hi Brandon.Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Sorry for the delay in getting back, I've been away.I've downloaded the source file for the Dash 7 but am unsure what to do with it now. When you say to export it as a scenery object does that mean simply treating it like a macro in FS Scenery Creator?If not then could you maybe go a bit further with your explanation please.Thanks

No! If you have the *.gmax file for the aircraft, you need to export it from GMAX using the FS2004_GMAX_SDK gamepack as a scenery object. Once you export it, you will have two files, *.mdl and *.xml. You then use the BGLCOMP compiler from the FS2004_BGLCOMP_SDK to compile the two files into a scenery *.bgl.Good examples of library objects are jetways2.zip and fedextks.zip.I recommend downloading and installing the FS2004 SDKs from http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/ , downloads, FS2004SDK.If you intent to use FSSC or AFW for FS2004 scenery design the above will not work. You would need to export the *.gmax file using the FS2002_GMAX gamepack, and FSREGEN to make an *.API object for insertion into FSSC or AFW.I recommend using SceneGenX - http://www.airportforwindows.com/ for FS2004 Scenery design.W. Sieffert

Hello W. Many thanks for your input. I fly with FS2002 not 2004. I am taking a good look at the Gmax help files to find out how to export the source file. I once made some houses for FS2002 using FSDesign Studio and I think I used the MKMDL and possibly IMAGE TOOL but I cannot remember for sure.I will go and look for FSREGEN as I have no knowledge of it.The more I find out the more I need to know!!!! Thanks

Guest btrpilot

Hello Alba,Yes, I was talking about exporting the model from Gmax as a scenery MDL file, thanks Mr. Sieffert for clarifying that for me :) This method can be fairly complicated if your not familiar with the Scenery SDK's and Gmax. (flyable Gmax models wern't meant to be converted into static scenery) So unless your planning on distributing your project to other people,(who don't use traffic tools) or you fly online a lot (AI traffic doesn't work in multiplayer mode), you might want to just find a low poly model meant for AI, and (if its not repainted already) repaint it in your VA's livery. Then add the plane to your AI traffic using Traffic Tools or a similar program. Either method of course will probably require you to repaint that Dash 7 in your VA's livery. Just holler it you need help :) Let us know how it turns out. Hope this made sense :)BrandonSkiAir Virtual Airlines"Serving the ski areas of the Rockies"www.pookiedom.com/skiair

Hello again Brandon. I do fly online for the cargo VA that I would be painting the Dash in the livery of. Does that read OK? You know what I mean!!I have populated the hanger aprons with some vehicles, personnel and cargo using FS Scenery Enhancer and just thought that it would be cool to have another Dash or two or even to repaint a Herc. or similar aircraft and have them sitting on the apron also.If it were to turn out ok then yeah I would probably distribute the bgl file or files to the other guys who use the Airfield.I downloaded the source file for the Dash. When I click on it, it opens Gmax but in the animation screen, when I move the slider the gear and flaps operate. Don't know if this is right. I also downloaded a tutorial on converting Gmax models into scenery objects using a programme called FSRegen. Unfortunately, I fell at the first hurdle because I don't know where to save the source files and the makebgl window does not appear as per the tutorial.It looks like this is going to be a lot more difficult than I thought.I saw that most of the new airport scenery all come with static aircraft and thought that it would be fairly straightforward to do, but obviously not.I am keen to learn how to do this and would appreciate greatly any further help you could give but don't want to take up a lot of your time. Maybe if you could just give me some pointers where to save things to. Maybe I should be saving the source file for the aircraft into Gmax rather than just clicking on the zip. I just don't know.Any help appreciated.

Guest btrpilot

Hi Alba,I checked out that Gmax model myself, its quite detailed and looks like it might be a little too hard on the frame rates for a static airplane. I found a nice FS98 model of the Dash 7 and used MDL to BGL to convert it to a API macro. I tried it out in FS just now and it looks great.If you want, you can send me a private message with your email address and I'll send it to you, although it might take me a little while to reply since I'm in the West Indies right now and the phone service isn't that reliable... :-) Brandon RuizSkiAir Virtual Airlines"Serving the ski areas of the Rockies"www.pookiedom.com/skiair

Hi Alba, I would go the way Michael suggested. Just use your flyable plane as AI plane (you can use any plane as AI plane and it is much easier than to make a static aircraft.). This will probably be a hit on fps, as flyable planes usually have more detailed models than planes created for AI only. But it will not be any greater fps hit than using your flyable plane as static.Wolfgang

Hi There Wolfgang,Thanks for coming in with your info. Yes, you are both probably right about this. I've not done anything like this before but it's been a good learning curve for me.Brandon is sending me a file to try out as a static and I've found and downloaded a tutorial from FS.com How To's regarding the installation of AI aircraft.I will spend some time over the next few days and try out both options. If the pc doesn't go out the window first only joking!!