Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

Converting a file created in Gmax

Guest Mark02

Hi everyone :DJust wondering if anyone knows how to convert a Gmax object into an API file for use in a scenery design program.Thanks.Mark :)

Mark, I've done it for fs2002 with an addon called fsregen. You compile your gmax model with save files checked in makemdl options. You discard the bgl.In fsregen, you use the "library" feature and create a library file from your asm output. Finally you create a simple api file that calls the guid created from within fsregen.If you are talking about fs2004, I'm not sure about all of that, Arno has built a tool that creates the new bgl for librarys, but calling the new guid from a scasm based api, well I really have no idea if it would work or not. fs2004 is intended to have its library objects called using xml compiled with bglcomp.exe...which works great and is how I've been working.Bob Bernstein

Guest Mark02

Hi :)OK Thanks for the info! :DMark!

Guest Mark02

Hi.I forgot to mention:How do I produce the .ASM file?I find that when I save the file it saves as a 'GMAX Scene' ?Mark! :)

If you have a gmax file and want to make a library object of the file, download the FS2004 GMAX and BGLCOMP SDKs from http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/ , downloads, FS2004SDK. For an example of library objects in the FS2004 style, download jetways2.zip from the library. To control the GMAX exporter add or modify the MAKEMDL.cfg file. Below are a couple of entries I used during the jetways export:[settings]LastDir=C:gmaxgamepacksfs2004pluginsSaveDir=C:gmaxgamepacksfs2004plugins[Options]Crash=0HasNightMap=1Other options are available, download the MAKEMDL sdk for mor information on the options.W. Sieffert

Guest Mark02

Hi.Where is the option in GMAX to open up the exporter?If I click export in the file menu it says select a Plasma file (*.P3D) ?? What does this mean? Am I doing something wrong!Any more info appreciated.ThanksMark

Hi Mark,If exporting as FS aircraft and scenery aren't options in your Gmax, then you dont' have the gamepack set up correctly. See the Gmax SDK for how to get it set up.thanks,

Guest Mark02

Hi Bill :)OK, Thanks for the link. Now... I have downloaded the add-on and converted my object into a Scenery MDL file. So now, how do I convert this to an API file for use in my scenery design program?Thanks.Mark.

Guest Mark02

Hi Bill,Yep I have read Bob's post but for FsRegen you need an .ASM file and the file I have now is MDL. So would I know need to convert MDL to ASM?Mark.

Mark, are you modelling for fs2004? It sounds like it. If so, then my advice is to add this object using xml code compiled by bglcomp.If you are modelling for fs2002, then you should use the fs2002 gamepack, which allows you to select options in the makemdl.exe program. The option tab will be active in the fs2002 compile process, just check "keep files". Now your compile will provide you with a bgl, an asm file, and a 0_asm file. For fs2004 your goal of converting a gmax file to api may not be worthwhile, all you need to place a 2004 gmax object is to choose a lat/long and create your bgl using xml...even if you are creating a bgl using airport for tarmac or other things, you can just place both bgls in the scenery dir and they will both display just fine.Bob B