Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dominique

G2K4 : flatten a VTP2 poly

Guest Dominique

OK now I've that lake redesigned over a 38 m mesh. Part of the lake is at 55.8 feet part is at 103 feet. So I set the altitude of the poly at 55.8 feet (17.01 m). Result : nada ! I've still a "two-tier" lake. Any idea ? do I've to remesh (tell me no that I don't ;-)) ?Dominique

Hi Dominique,you can indeed lower or raise the altitude of a lake. Two things to check: 1. Did your elevation change "stick"? The altitude needs to be set in the LWM tab of your poly properties window. Also, if you change parameters in several tabs at once G2K4 will only store the changes in the last tab you worked in.2. Other projects' LWM polys and their elevations can override yours; make sure your compiled bgl has priority over any other add-ons for that area.Cheers, Holger

Guest Dominique

Thank you Holger !1- yup, the elevation sticks in the main tab at 17,01 m.2- that's my first project and this area is covered by a mesh which has a lower priority in the scenery addons list.best,Dominique

Hi Dominique,the elevation needs to be set in the LWM tab, not the Main tab!!!Cheers, Holger

Guest Dominique

Hi Holgerhmmm... I'm confused now :-)I'm doing the lake as VTP2 textured poly. You mean there's no way to change the altitude of such a poly ? There is a small window though (windowlette :-) ?) for the altitude in the VTP2 main tab. Dominique

Guest luissa

>Hi Holger>>hmmm... I'm confused now :-)>>I'm doing the lake as VTP2 textured poly. You mean there's no>way to change the altitude of such a poly ? There is a small>window though (windowlette :-) ?) for the altitude in the VTP2>main tab. >>DominiqueHi,Lakes can also be done as LWM masks. You can draw a polygon with the shape of the lake and you define the mask as being water. That will cut a hole on the land showing the "second texture layer" which is continental water. One disadvantage is that you can set your own custom water texture (as with VTP2). The advantage (?) is that you can set the altitude of this water mask (=lake) polygon.Regards, Luis

Hello Luis,>Lakes can also be done as LWM masks. You can draw a polygon>with the shape of the lake and you define the mask as being>water. That will cut a hole on the land showing the "second>texture layer" which is continental water. One disadvantage is>that you can set your own custom water texture (as with VTP2)....that you can not set... (?)>The advantage (?) is that you can set the altitude of this>water mask (=lake) polygon.>>Regards, Luiswouldn't it be better anyway to define lakes with LWM watermasks? Otherwise you get a land-polygon, looking like water, but can't land with an amphibian aircraft.On the other hand, isn't it possible to define waterclass information similar to landclass information? This should allow you to change the underlying continental water texture.Well, I did never tested waterclass...Regards,Edgar

Howdy,sorry, I overlooked the part with the VTP2 poly. No, you can't give VTP2 polys an elevation; to tell you the truth, I have no idea what that Altitude window in the Main tab does because it doesn't have any effect on LWM polys either - perhaps time to re-read the manual? ;-)Edgar is correct, you should draw you lake as a LWM poly with fixed elevation and, if you'd like to have a different water color, simply click on the WC (waterclass) button and assign a different color. Just keep in mind that the actual water color depends on what water replacement texture set people are using (if any) and also that waterclass textures don't blend like landclass textures do, which means that big color differences between adjacent textures lead to a strange "oil spill" visual effect.Cheers, Holger

Guest Dominique

Thanks Edgar Luis and Holger. Will try.Oil spill : just what I need, I try my hand doing an area which has a large oil terminal :-lol no kidding !