Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

AutoAsm and Coastline Import?

Hello,I thought I'd have a go at using AutoAsm to import coastline information from http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/shorelines/shorelines.htmlI downloaded the dat file and copied it to the AutoAsm main directory. I then wen to the Editor panel and loaded it up there. However, the screen main screen doesn't show anything. I guess I must either be doing something wrong or I need to do more steps. I'm not sure which though.

Guest Horst

Hello Victor,For the import you have to use the

Thanks Horst.I'm ok up until step "e". Should I be seeing my coastline in the main screen when I get to this point? All I see is a blank square. The dat file loads ok in the earlier version of AutoAsm but that one doesn't give you a bitmap.I just tried again and it worked.

Guest Horst

Hello Victor,No, on Step e) you will not see the data.Set Bounds is only used, to get the information from the data you use, to get the correct settings (Centre Position, Size Degrees) for the main panel.You will not struggle to get the correct settings out of N,S,E,W (the bounds for your dataset).AutoAsm should give you the correct position for your bitmap from the imported data, when you use Read Data.Horst

Guest Horst

Hello Victor,after step i) or l)? (memory setting?)and which runtime error?Maybe you can give us a screenshot?Horst

>Hello Victor,>after step i) or l)? (memory setting?)>and which runtime error?>Maybe you can give us a screenshot?>Horst>When I try step i). I think it was a "subscript out of range" error. I'll try again and check. I'll also try to get a screenshot.

Well strangley I can't load in the coastline image until I have a blank project name box. It then loads in one of my other bitmaps.I can then load in my coastline file!!When I attempt to load in the dat file from a completely clean (ie no other projects or bitmaps included) it errors "File not found"

Guest Horst

Hello Victor,AutoAsm saves the

Thanks Horst.Afraid I'm still a bit confused! When I try to get past step g) When I click LOAD, I get a message saying "Loading Data" for about 3 seconds and then I get blank main screen. I've looked at the dat file using WordPad and it does contain data.I'm using a completely clear AutoAsm file with no other projects or bitmaps loaded. I presume my previous attempt loaded via another project and that was maybe why I got an error??

Guest Horst

Hallo Victor,Sorry for confusing!When Chris will see the thread, I am sure, he will give you a better English explanation, and maybe correct my steps.Maybe Set Bounds is not working yet for these kind of data?Do you have the bounds for the data?Then leave out step e) and f) and try to set you up Centre Position and Size(Degrees) yourself instead.The zoom tool is also a little bit tricky :)HorstPS: Maybe read step :( again.

Hi Horst.No you aren't confusing me. I'm probably confusing myself!:D Perhaps I should try another sort of data file to see if that works.Using Set Bounds does work and I see the coordinates in the right boxes.Should I be inputting anything to the Main screen? Project Name or Output File?

Guest Horst

Very important:The name of the bitmap you make, is the name of your project !!(Otherwise AutAsm will not find the right bitmap)Horst

Guest cwright

Hi Victor, first, thanks to Horst - his info and suggestions are excellent! It appears that the import process works correctly and you can see the bitmap display in the editor window (as in your screenshot). But you get the run-time error when you click SAVE to save the bitmap. It's certainly worth trying some different and smaller bitmap sizes. Also check that you have the file blank.bmp in the bitmaps sub-directory. This is essential for the import process. I've looked at the code and I can't see how this could happen. The error is almost certainly caused by an incorrectly dimensioned array. Two arrays are involved in the SAVE process and they should both be correctly dimensioned - I assume you attempt to save the bitmap immediately after doing the import. As Horst says, there could be a problem if you choose a very large bitmap size and you run out of memory. I've tested it at 10,000*10,000 (512 Mb memory). At this point in the process other settings on the Main panel probably don't matter apart from WORKING DIRECTORY. When you click on SAVE it will simply save the bitmap into the bitmaps sub-directory, so it doesn't need any other project settings. But even if you still can't save the bitmap it would be a good idea to create the project: just enter the bitmap name you're trying to save into PROJECT NAME (but without the .bmp extension) and click on SETTINGS/SAVE. Having a specific project means you will always have the same settings unless you explicitly change them. If you could email the files to me I'd be happy to take a look. I would need three files: the original import .dat file, plus the project .ini and .dat files (in the settings sub-directory). Best regards, Chris