Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

Slarti and watermasks...

I've generated a watermask using terrascene 2.1 of an entire globe tile (fly) that weighs in at about 800mb as a tga. I've managed to convert that to raw using irfanview, then to a bmp in photoshop CS, but slarti fails to load it with the following:--> Loading water dataScaling ".KLEB SourceKLEB-centerw.bmp" Promoting image type 1 to 16-bit***Failed to promote image to 16-bit. Check that it has noalpha channel. e.g. in Photoshop, select 'Layer->Flatten Image'.This will be fixed soon!*** Failed to load image.The watermask only has a single value - ignoring it completely!*** Problem preparing watermap - erasing it.*** Failed to load source file(s).The bmp is 'flat' in PS, maybe there's an advance format of bmp that would work, or am I beating a dead horse here? I've tried several of the obvious choices for bmps to no avail. Thanks!sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest Jan N

Hi,You could try to save the raster image in TIFF format.I use TIFF format and that works OK both for 8-bit and 16- bit images. The only difference is that with 16 bit you do not have to wait for slarti to "promote to 16-bit. :-cool

Thanks for the tip - I'll give that a try. I tried various 16-bit bmps, and raw directly, but neither worked. tiff is a new one!I'll let you know how it turns out...sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Nope. Tried 8- and 16- bit tiffs, no joy. Same error with the 8 bit, the 16 bit says the image contains only one value and is discarded. I have a feeling that something else is going on here. I must be missing a step somewhere. I've gotten the mesh part to work fine from 1-arc second srtm data, and the tga from TS2 looks fabulous as a watermask, I've just can't get slarti to use it...Any other suggestions?? Slarti is looking for the north west corner for the start point for the watermask, right?Thanks...

Guest Jan N

Hi,in Photo Shop make sure all water is 100% black and all land is like 53% grey. You do this with the adjust Brightness/Contrast in the Image Adjust menu. Make sure you have the info window open to see these values. You open the info window in the window menu. :+If you have an image with black water and white land, then simply reduce the brightness untill it shows 53% grey for land. You may have to do it twice because total white only gets to like 39% grey when you reduse brightness to -100. Black will remain 100% black! :-cool If this does not work, try reinstalling the program and read the manual again. :)

>If this does not work, try reinstalling the program >and read the manual again. :)Thanks for the tip - I think my land value is more like 40% grey, I'll check that out...and read the manual again. This is cutting into my shrike time!Best,sg