Sign in to follow this  
Guest flyfun

Troubles with Slarti and AutoASM...any help?

Dear all,Jan tried to help me over the weekend, but I'm still stuck getting slarti to use a Terrascene2.1 generated watermask, I'm hoping someone will be able to point out where my error is occurring.First, I have used TS2.1 to create watermasks by setting the background color to 120 (on a 0-255 scale), thus making water black and land within the range of 98-127 as defined in the slarti docs (p.23). I also turned off all non-water lines (as roads were white by default) and enable streams to be rendered as black with a 1 pixel width, no antialiasing. I then decided to create quarter globe tile regions, as the entire globe tile created a targa image that was greater than 800mb in size, and I had trouble converting it to any other formats because of memory errors, despite the fact that my PC has 1gb ram. Information regarding the lat/lon of the TS2.1 generated image is exported by TS2.1 - and the image is at a resolution of 7.5m/pixel. This should be readily usable by slarti, right?With Slarti:Since I want to convert the watermask to a watermap (water +elevation), the first thing that I did was download way more srtm 1-arc second mesh for the region (it's in NH) than I actually needed, set "UseSourceDimensions = 1" in my .inf and slarti generated the mesh - the raw image looks great. I then set UseSourseDimensions = 0 and restricted the output from slarti to the exact size of my watermask. I then include the NormalMesh = 0 in my inf to use the mesh I just generated, and include my watermask in the sources. I've also set the various lwm parameters, which I can post here if you need. Here's where the problems start. Initially, I couldn't even get slarti to accept my bmps, raw images, or tiffs, which I think was because my grey was not within the correct range (thanks Jan!). Then, after switching to the above procedure, I can get the bmp (converted from tga) to load, and the first thing that slarti does is promote the image to 16 bit, then scale it, but then it seems that an inappropriate number of lines are read by slarti from the much larger image (something slightly more than half the total number of lines in the image). When the resulting scenery is loaded into LWMViewer, some rivers and lakes are generated, but there is a border around the generated scenery where there is nothing in the bgl but white space. If I set "PatchLWM = 1" then all water features are removed from that area. Further, those water features that are generated are not located properly.My feeling is that the watermask image is not being read properly. Either the conversion is creating an image that contains rgb in the wrong row order, or it's not the right bit depth for slarti, or it's just not the right format in some way. Alternately, I could just be defining the watermask incorrectly - should I be setting UTMSize for the TS2.1 generated image, or is it sufficient to be calculating CellXDimensionDeg and CellYDimensionDeg using the info provided by TS2.1 for the top left and bottom right lat/lon of the image?Lastly (sorry for this ramble!), I also tried to import these watermasks into AutoASM, thinking I could generate a mesh-clinging water map in the interim, but I keep getting a Runtime error 76 path not found error with AutoASM - I've tried installing it to c:Program FilesAutoAsm, c:AutoAsm and some other case-sensitive permutations thereof without success. Any ideas with that one before I bug Chris?Thanks a ton for reading this far!Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest cwright

>Lastly (sorry for this ramble!), I also tried to import these>watermasks into AutoASM, thinking I could generate a>mesh-clinging water map in the interim, but I keep getting a>Runtime error 76 path not found error with AutoASM - I've>tried installing it to c:Program FilesAutoAsm, c:AutoAsm>and some other case-sensitive permutations thereof without>success. Any ideas with that one before I bug Chris? Hi Scott, I spotted this so here goes.... First, be sure you have the current version. Unfortunately AutoAsm is in a bit of a flux at the moment so you need three downloads. I hope to have a complete new release in a few weeks. The links:http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/AutoAsmV05.ziphttp://www.kline.demon.co.uk/AutoAsm_Update_2.zip http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/autoasm_temp_update.zip It should work fine in c:program filesautoasm AutoAsm uses line polygons, and not water masks (though it has a tool to convert solid polygons to line polygons). One of the zips has a detailed tutorial on how to set up TS for this. The bitmap can include roads as well as water polygons. You need to convert the targa to 8 bit bitmap (.bmp) format. The bitmap size should be a multiple of 4. TS bitmaps often have defects (e.g. breaks in polygons), but AutoAsm has an editor with tools designed to allow easy error-fixing. With a little experience the whole process of importing the TS bitmap to creating scenery for a half degree square takes about fifteen minutes. AutoAsm is a fairly complex program (unlike AutoStar!) and there is a bit of a learning curve. But with a bit of experience the whole process should become pretty routine. On the runtime error, does this occur immediately on running the program? It will look for the ini and dat files, but if they don't exist it should be okay. Anyway, look in the settings sub-directory and check that autoasm.ini and autoasm.dat are present (and not zero-size!) They would have been placed there from the original install zip. Good luck. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Best regards, Chris

Hello Chris!I've downloaded the three zips, unpacked V05 with folders enabled to c:program files (it creates AutoAsm folder). I then unpacked Update 2 into the autoasm folder, and finally the temp update. I then double click the AutoAsm.exe and immediately get "runtime error '76': path not found". I tried AutoAsmV069.exe and AutoAsmV05.exe with the same result. Then I deleted all .ini files, and still get the same error with AutoAsm.exe and AutoAsmV069.exe, however AutoAsmV05.exe will start...I don't have an autoasm.dat file - the only .dat is called 5688.dat. That file is present in c:program filesAutoAsm and c:program filesAutoAsmDat. Renaming either or both to AutoAsm.dat does not fix the problem.Also, I've only got three subfolders in the AutoAsm directory - asm, backup, and dat. Should there be a bmp folder or any others?Assuming I get that far (;)), is there an 8-bit bmp subformat that should be used? X1R5G5B5, R5G6B5?Thanks a ton!sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest cwright

Hi Scott, I can see an immediate problem. After installation there should be a number of sub-directories, including 'bitmaps' and 'settings'. If there is no settings sub-directory then AutoAsm will give that error. It'll be quite happy if there's no ini or dat files present in the settings sub-directory - but the settings sub-directory itself must be present. By the way, there should be no sub-directories with the names you gave - Winzip must have done something very strange! I would suggest that you delete the installation and then install from the first zip. Check that you have a settings sub-directory and that the program runs okay. Ensure that Winzip has the directories setting enabled so that it will create the sub-directories. Then apply the other two updates in order, while checking that the sub-directories don't get deleted. You should have at least these four sub-directories: settings, bitmaps, docs and terrain. When applying the updates (the second and third zip) it might be safer to disable the directories setting in Winzip and extract the varius files to the explicit directories - that way no directories can get deleted! Apologies for the messy set-up - I hope to have a completely new unified release in a few weeks. The dat file you saw was actually a sample import file - it contains scenery data in text form. I don't know about those formats. Just convert any image files into standard 8 bit .bmp format and you'll be fine. Remember, the settings sub-directory is the most important - without that AutoAsm won't run. Let me know how you get on! Best regards, Chris

Thanks - I've nuked my previous install and redownloaded, and here's what I see when opening the v05 file in winzip (also tried winRAR, same) - note the paths:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/89729.jpgI'll add in the settings, bitmaps, docs, and terrain folders and see what happens - I'll report back tonight.Thanks again.Best,sg

Guest flyfun

Dear Chrisgood day !you mention to Victor or previous post - regarding the Blank.bmp - and inform us that - the blank.bmp file is included in one of your update zip.as i had similar problems in using the autoasm - i would be very grateful if you can please attach to the forum or send me an email wich include the blank.bmp - i could not see the blank.bmp file in any of your update zip - nor in the original zip.if you rather sent it to me by email - here is the address:abbiati50@bigdug.comlong live autoasm and congratulations for your workMarc

Guest cwright

Hi Scott, I'm very sorry, I made a *big* mistake. It's okay, I've already had myself taken out and shot! The first link is wrong - I immediately realised that when I saw the screenshot. This was a version a year earlier, which had a completely different layout (probably the very first release). The first link should be: http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/autoasm.zip The second and third links should be okay. Delete everything and install this and check that the program runs - it should. Then apply the other updates. Once again, many apologies. Unfortunately I've been giving this link for some time.... Best regards, Chris

No need for apologies, sheesh - it's free, no expectations here! ;)Glad it was an easy fix: New link worked fine - I seem to be in business! Off to make some lines...Thanks,sg

Guest cwright

Scott, Good luck. One suggestion - as you're interested in using TS, you could immediately try the TS_demo project, which is a cut-down TerraScene bitmap.1. In PROJECT NAME, type ts_demo (you can also browse for it).2. Click on Settings/LOAD to load the settings.3. Ensure these are checked: ISLANDS, AUTO FILL and AUTO CULL.4. Click on READ DATA. After a few seconds of reading in and processing you should see the roads and water polygons in the map display. That's a start - you're now close to creating the scenery! Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Marc, you're right - I thought it was in one of the zips but it's not. You have mail - or at least you will in a couple of minutes! Best regards, Chris

Guest flyfun

Thanks Chris - Horst and all others - who are contributing -you are first class!!marc

Hey Chris - about that blank.bmp? :-smoochemail in sig...

Guest cwright

Hi Marc, if you are trying to load a large and complex bitmap you may need to increase the memory setting (on the Tools panel - increase the value and then click on Project/SAVE). You could try a setting of 2000000. During read-in the program does check the available memory and will stop with an error message suggesting you increase the memory setting. But occasionally the error may not be detected and you'll get the run-time error. As I said, try a larger setting. If that doesn't fix it I'll need more information. For example, does this happen on all bitmaps? Did you correct all bitmap errors and get the green banner? Have you installed all three zips? Does the error occur immediately after clicking on READ DATA, or does it occur later in the process - and if so, when? To check that things are working correctly you could try reading in one of the projects that came with the zips such as TS_demo or easy. If we can't get to the bottom of this then you could email me the project and I'd be happy to take a look at it. Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Hi Scott, you only need this if you're going to import data - this function is on the Tools panel. Actually, you could use any of the bitmaps in the bitmaps sub-directory (they must be 8 bit .bmp). Simply make a copy of a bitmap and place it in the bitmaps sub-directory. Then re-name it to blank.bmp However, all the colours should have a visible colour and not be black - this may not always be the case. If you want to import any data (e.g. Polish format) let me know and I'll email you the file. But you don't need the file when wotking with TS bitmaps. Best regards, Chris