Sign in to follow this  
Guest tasnvs

Scenery done with Ground2k4 causing Page File to increa...

Guest tasnvs

Hi AllI have done a large area that covers 2 LC areas and have foundthat it causes the Page file to just continue growing untill itruns out of allocated space.I removed the 994470 HL,HP,RD,RR,ST, and UL.bgl files for New Zealandand replaced everything to get them into the correct placebut I now find that the page file starts at about 700K but after flying around or even in slew mode for 2 hrs and not moving the Page file just keeps increasing to about 1400K.Any help would be appreciatedCheers Norman

Did you just put your new bgls into sceneryocenscenery?If your files are looking for LC textures, this can cause the behaviour you are seeing if the necessary texture files aren't found in sceneryocentexture.Try installing your new files in a testscenery folder, and make sure that you don't have a corresponding testtexture folder. Then add the new folder using the scenery library function in the settings page. If you do this the sim will look for the texture files within the default texture folder.scott s..

Guest tasnvs

Hi ScottThanks for the reply but I have tried everything I can think of,but still the same.Could it be that because the area it so large and all the files for thewhole area are in one project the data is not being releasedI have even tried putting the LC files only in its own folderbut still the same.Cheers Norman

Hi Norman.The behavior you describe is caused by a local "texture" folder that does not include ALL the texures called by the BGLs you made. The local texture folder must contain ALL textures used, or you cannot havr a local "texture" folder..The default structure of FS Project folders is that "MyProject" will have twin subfolders: "scenery" and "texture". If the "texture" folder is missing textures ( even one! ) then the memory will increase. This will not occur if LWM, VTP and landclass BGLs are placed in a folder structure that omits the "texture" subfolder.If you use customized VTP or landclass textures, the best solution is to move all those textures to the "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryWorldtexture" folder, then delete your local "texture" folder.It was only found recently that VTP, as well as landclass BGLs, causes this memory "leak".Dick

Guest tasnvs

Hi Dick.Right. What I have done is 1. Place all the .bgl files produced by Ground2k4 into a scenery sub folder off a folder called "Ground" with no texture folder.2. Placed my 3 VTP textures into "SceneryWorldtextures"(they have always been there)Still get a page file increase of about 100 meg after flying aroundfor about 2 hours. Not near as much as before.Just to make things more confusing I have another whole area besidethe first one, which is a lot bigger but I have not done very muchin the way of roads and rivers yet but have done all the coasts,lakes and large rivers with the same textures and no problems.So there must be something different in the first project but justwhat and how to track it down.I can even put the bgl. files from both projects into the same scenery folder and the P/F increase only starts when flying over thearea that is causing the problem by its self.Hope this all makes senseCheers Norman

Hi Norman.Do you use the latest version of Ground2K4? That could make a difference.With older versions, there were odd areas of VTP polys that acted odd in the sim... may have been changed in newer versions.BGLs with lots of lines or polys ( USARoads is an example ) will increase memory usage dramatically. 100 Mb increase with such a file is possible. Are you using WindowsXP? If not, USARoads has been found to cause memory problems due to the operating systems memory handling... so your BGL may also cause problems.MS ( and some designers ) are finding that each style of VTP line works best in a separate BGL... that is, not mixing road lines with streams or bridges or raillines or shorelines. Each in their own BGL.You could zip your ".LWM" file from Ground2K4, and attach it to a post ( no need for a background bitmap ). Then others could help search for a problem.Dick

Guest tasnvs

Hi.This project was started when Ground2K was first releasedand I have upgraded as each release came available(I hope).I have all the coasts and lakes in Coasts_994470.LWMand everything else in the Roads_994470.LWMAs the LWM total zipped to over 2.6M I have put themon my Homepage for access at:http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/nshieffe/...NZ%20994470.zipThanks for any assistance.Norman

Hi Norman.The file "Roads_994470_5.bgl" contains 2 illegal textures:"Nvs_0.bmp" does not exist on my computer."grass.r8" is not a DXT1 bitmap or an 8-bit, mipped, with alpha bitmap, and cannot be used.Choose suitable replacements ( either numbered, or named residing in the main Texture folder ), and it is fine.Dick

Guest tasnvs

Hi DickThe Nvs_0.bmp is a texture I use for all the river bedsIt is a DXT1 bitmap which I have put in the "WorldTexture" folderDon't know where the "grass.r8 came from, any idea what the co-ords are where I may have used it?Have attached the Nvs_0.bmp for you to check out Thanks V/much for your asistanceCheers Norman

Hi Norman.Use NotePad on the "Roads_994470.LWM" file and search for 'grass.r8'... just replace that name with something more appropriate.Dick

Guest tasnvs

Hi DickThanks for all the assistance.Took a wild stab in Ground2K4 and found where I had used the 'grass.r8'first attempt. On the strip at Hanmer Springs.Much better now Once again thanks DickCheers Norman