Sign in to follow this  
Guest shep9999

Gmax Textures

Guest shep9999

Hi, Help ....I've done a couple of rudimentary bldgs in gmax and texture them using edit/unwrap. The textures go on in the right place and show up in fs9.(using makemodel/fs2004 dev kit The trouble i'm having is when using the material editor to skin the selected face, all the nice looking textures (ie. bricks, photoreal pics) stretch and look c**p in fs9 ... stretched doors/windows etc.what do u do to keep them from doing this in gmax??any advice needed .. u can see why from the following !!!!cheersgaz

Guest GerrishGray

Hi GazThe secret is to make the size and 'aspect ratio' of the model match the size of the building depicted in the texture. In the example in your screenshot, the building needs to be shorter to match the texture.Hope this helps ...Gerrish

Guest shep9999

Thanks Gerrish,I'm going to fiddle around today and try that out. My trouble is i've downloaded umpteen diffent toots for gmax and my brain is in meltdown!!It's okay for u boffins :( is it best to use a texture tile 256x256 of 1 particular style than put 4 / 6 / 8 different ones on the same size tile ? thanks budgaz

Hi gaz,Don't feel alone! I flunked stick figures 101 in the 1st grade. I leave those graphics programs to the artists among us. When they need help exporting, I on it!Each to our own specialties!! That's what makes these forums great for learning!!W. Sieffert

Guest shep9999

Thanks Guys,Of course, when looking around google again today I found another bunch of toots for Gmax AND a load of max 4 scripts !!! Look out Gmax, here I come again (fool).. Oh well , i'll never learn .. only got 900mb left on my C drive..Seriously, thanks for the info . always better to learn from people who have been there, done that.Will press on and hopefully put something up that looks the partHow do they do that ??!!!! }(

Guest shep9999

Hi, that pic looks fine. I do see a difference. Perhaps i'm gettingto finickity (it was my 1st attempt for years).Its probably my texture pic itself that needs working on.anyhow, heres the same building in FS9 (I'm making Unst airport inthe shetlands - all my choppers/fixed wing fly about and now the pax have somewhere to take a .....cheersGaz:-jumpy