Sign in to follow this  
Sasa

How to create sloped Runways in FS2004

Hello,I'm wondering that there hasn't been any discussion about sloped runways for FS2004 yet. Altough some important things have changed from FS2002 to FS2004.In FS2002 there was one really useful approach to create sloped runways using the TexRelief-Command of SCASM. Unfortunately that command doesn't work anymore in FS2004.The second approach, that still works fine, is to create a remesh (for example with Ground2k)... if there's no flatten in the designated area.Grass-Runways can be done easily using a VTP2 polygon or line in Ground2k.But has someone an idea how to create asphalt or concrete runways? These runways require a much higher resolution than grass runways because there are center lines, runway markers, identifiers etc. The same with sloped taxiways. And to do that is not posible with the 4,8m/pix resolution of VTP2.Any ideas? Would be nice to start a new discussion about that topic here. :)Sascha

You can very well use the platform function of the new GMax gamepack to make a sloped hard surface. This can then also be used for a sloped runway.The only problem you might have is how to integrate this (3D) object into the surrounding mesh scenery.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno,Well, the problem is that MakeMDL is not working with the Script like it should. I tried to export my Gmax-Model (just a plane at an altidute of 5 meters) and got to attached error message after I added the platform.I tried it on 3 computers. On the third one the compilation worked (finally!)But the surface wasn't hard at all and the helicoper I usded even wasn't able to land on a flat part of the surface. *really confused*Saschahttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/91761.jpg

I think you only have a platform in your file, then MakeMDL does not work. You must also have a visual polygon (the one you run the script on is no longer visible afterwards).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

With the two objects (one visual and one for harden the surface) it worked! Thanks! :)Sascha