Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tommeke84

Visual Gate Docking System

Guest Tommeke84

[h5]Hello,I'm designing a new Gmax scenery for Brussels National Airport (EBBR) and I already made animated gates for the new terminal A. But now I'm looking for information on how to construct/add a visual gate docking system. Is this possible with Gmax or should I use other programs?You can already see some screenshots of the scenery on my website:[a href=http://users.pandora.be/thomasbogaert/ebbr/screenshots.htm" target="_blank]EBBR Virtual Airport[/a] (For the moment this site is only in Dutch)Thomas[/h5]

Hello Thomas,You can not design them from GMax directly. You can make the visual part in GMax, but to get the docking system really working you would need to tweak the source code a bit.But what kind of docking system is installed on EBBR? I am working on a few docking systems at the moment (SafeGate and SafeDock) and these will be made available to other designers once they are ready.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Tommeke84

Hello Arno,Actually I have no idea how the system is called at Brussels. But I've got a picture of the system in action:gate.jpgI could do the model in Gmax and make changes to the code later. Thomas

Ah, I don't recognise that model either. This his how a safedock system looks:http://www.safegate.se/images/safedockonsite.jpgSafegate is an older version, it has a mechanical way to indicate your position fault (distance is done by lights).If you have finished the model I will probably to be able to give some tips about the source tweaking (the functions of the VGDS will be the same I guess). Or maybe I could even find the time to write a little tutorial about how I made my gate :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest Tommeke84

It would be very nice if you could write a little tutorial on this topic. The system in my picture shows the aircraft type at the top of the board (here B737-400) en below it, there are 2 lines that indicate the aircraft's position.This is not urgent at all, because I have still a lot of work on modelling the other buildings at EBBR.Thanks for your answer,Thomas

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I finally finshed my tutorial about making a docking system. Maybe it is still of help for you.http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=609

Arno

Guest Tommeke84

Thank you very muchThomas

Guest abent

Thomas, I'd be very interested in seeing your airport scenery but your link doesn't seem to work.Thanks,Adam

Guest PaulL01

Just checked out yer site and had to just say Wow! nice work there Thomas!