Sign in to follow this  
Guest kenmc

Visibility of objects in FS9

Guest kenmc

Hi Fellas- I've heard that one can limit the distance objects can be seen, in the FS field of view, in order to improve frame rates. I've used EOD and FSSC to construct most of the buildings at my airport. I'm currently learning how to use GMAX for the more detailed objects. I would like to be able to limit the distances that objects appear in the field of view so that I can keep my frame rates up.I notice that EOD[under options has a heading "Visibility"] which I assume is for that purpose but I can't get it to activate. Do any of you know how to limit the view of objects using EOD, FSSC OR GMAX? thanks Ken

Hello Ken,EOD just makes you 3D object, it is on the program that you place it with that you can set this distance. So you should be able to do it in FSSC.FSSC allows you to set a v1 and a v2 value that specify the visibility of the object. The v1 is basically the distance and the v2 the radius. You can read more about it here:http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108For GMax the story is a bit different. With the Fs2004 gamepack the code has changed and we have no v1 and v2 anymore. The best way to control the framerate is now to use LOD levels in your object. If you don't want to show the object you can leave the LOD empty.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Yes, it can, I completely forgot to mention that :D.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I'm wondering if the author is asking how to specify conditional model display using the LOD intiative.If that's the goal, all you have to do is to make more than one version of the model, easiest way for me is to make the complex model, clone it, and then delete features from the clone that won't be visible from far away. Name the original model, filename_LOD_100, and name the clone, filename_LOD_50. I used 50 as the example, but you can use any number between 1 and 100, and any number of these conditional models.Finally, you make a dummy object called filename, and link both the models to it.Then export the whole thing...you find from close up you see the complex model, and as you pull away, it should change into the less complex model.Bob Bernstein

Guest kenmc

Thanks Arno for the info. That's really neat the way that works. It's going to be very useful to me. Regards - Ken.