Sign in to follow this  
AlaskanFlyboy

I'm interested in doing some sceneries

I have about a gig of DEMs, DLGs, and LULCs on my haird drive from my days of using TerraScene for the Fly! series and I'm looking at possibly putting this to use in MSFS, but I'm not sure where to begin. With all the files I have, I can do all of Washington state, and the northern edge of Oregon and into western Montana with accurate terrain, land classes, rivers, lakes, roads, railroads, and powerlines. Is there a utility to convert these into files MSFS would understand?----------------------------------------------------------------John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private 130+ hrs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest Slacktide

Is your digital data in Shapefile format? What I did for my Long Island Coastlines was use GPSMapEdit from http://www.geopainting.com/en/ to load the shapefiles, then save them as "Polish Format" (.mp files) Then I loaded the .mp files with AutoASM, which converts them to a bitmap. You can edit the bitmap using any graphics program, then compile to FS Scenery with AutoASM. Editing the bitmap is the tedious part, as AutoASM has some strict rules about which colors are used and what pixels can touch each other.I was going to work on accurate coastlines for Puget Sound as my next project, but if you want to tackle it, it's no problem. Please let me know either way, so we don't end up duplicating each other's effort!Dan

They're in the original formats they were in when I got them from USGS. I don't really want to make a bitmap out of the DLGs though. It would be nice if MSFS had a program like TerraScene for Fly! and Fly!II that took raw USGS GIS data and automatically did what it needed to do with it. It automatically turned dems into mesh, and everything else into textures and water masks. From what I've read and heard on MSFS is that roads, rivers, railroads, and utility poles are separate scenery files and will auto flatten the mesh where ever they appear. So for them to appear correctly, I believe it would have to be made into the MSFS format for those sceneries, otherwise they'd remain over top the bitmap. Correct me if I'm mistaken. But with MSFS's ability to autogen utility poles, I'd like to see atleast the utility lines DLG files converted like they need to be for the autogen to pick them up. The ability to make the LULC files convert to a format autogen can use would be nice. It would actually place every town in the coverage as it is in real life and all the forests, fields, etc. Set up right, TerraScene2 would make you beautiful texture maps though without all the work you specified. It would make them as targas (.tga), but could easily be converted to whatever format they needed to be in. The default is setting in TerraScene2 is 7.5m pixel resolution (which was Fly!II's max resolution for ground textures), but it can be set to any resolution you like as long as you made a MSFS texture set for it to use.I would use that method, but there would be no autogen with it and all default roads, rivers, railroads, and utility poles, as well as default autogen land class would still appear on it as I have been told.----------------------------------------------------------------John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private 130+ hrs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach