Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

Beyond 4.75 m/pixel

I think my SNA2004 is at a very similar resolution and it works in FS2004. Done in simple SCASM code. IF anyone wants it I can post it later...CheersShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Oops, you are correct. I missed that error. That could indeed result in strange problems, as the code is not exited correct.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

>All FSteam would have to do (as should have already been done>when FS2k4 was released) would be to allow the display of>512x512 and 1024x1024 textures with the present photoreal/mesh>terrain by means of the patch and we could easily be>proccessing 2.4m and 1.2m sceneries!I certainly hope that we will see this increase in future versions, although it can have a big performance influence of course (2.4 meter resolution already requires 4 times more memory). Let's hope they increase it at least to 2.4 and hopefully also to 1.2 in the future.But I don't expect it to be in the patch already, as it does not really seems to be a critical problem, but we'll see :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

>I think my SNA2004 is at a very similar resolution and it>works in FS2004. Done in simple SCASM code. IF anyone wants it>I can post it later...But that area is flat or does it have altitude in it as well?

Arno

Yes you are right. No terrain mesh there. I forgot that the discussion is on mesh terrain. I was replying to the photo-tiles observation.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Yep, then it is indeed possible. I use a SCASM grid myself as well to place 1 meter resolution photos around an airport. But that is only an option if you can make the area you are working on flat.

Arno

That does the beg the question why one would need a lot of undulating terrain to be covered in 1m photo tiles around an airport. Airports are usually built on pretty flat surfaces. The way to do this would be to use SCASM polys under the airport (1m res) and photo-terrain on the outside (4.75m res),where possibly an undulating surface might exist. The effect would be more than adequate.Shez

Shez Ansari

I agree with you, but I also know people who want to use 1 meter data over an entire country. In that case you run in the altitude problem. Around most airports you can indeed flatten it very well (unless there is a mountain very close or so).

Arno

I wish that you had not shown those pictures!!! They really bring up disturbing memories of how it was in "the old days"... I may have to reinstall FS2002 just to enjoy the REAL photoreal scenery......I assume that your groups release will show as above in FS2002 and "blurred" in FS2004? Is October a good release date?Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Been a while, I'm forgetting....what back door did we used to use? From the standpoint of terrain, the limit of 4.75 m/pixel has been imposed ever since the lod grid system started (fs98? certainly at least by fs2000).Of course, we've been able to used polygons on the ground from early on...still can, and display any resolution you want over flat area.I do remember you testing a substitution technique by replacing a 256x256 tile with an double resolution 2 up of the same area, but later tests showed that only the 1st mip image was actually displaying. I suppose its irrelevant, but its troubling me that I can't remember that back door.Bob B

Guest PaulL01

>Been a while, I'm forgetting....what back door did we used to>use? From the standpoint of terrain, the limit of 4.75>m/pixel has been imposed ever since the lod grid system>started (fs98? certainly at least by fs2000).>>Of course, we've been able to used polygons on the ground from>early on...still can, and display any resolution you want over>flat area.>>I do remember you testing a substitution technique by>replacing a 256x256 tile with an double resolution 2 up of the>same area, but later tests showed that only the 1st mip image>was actually displaying. I suppose its irrelevant, but its>troubling me that I can't remember that back door.>>Bob B>>Hi Bob,There are several, and right off the top of my head...well many more than that (???) There were so many problems...we are talking about Photreal/mesh here "Mallard SanFransico" style and better...Early Scasm code and FS code (FS5.0-FS95) only allowed do disply PRM upto about 40 miles out or so Konstantin Kukushkin wrote a progy at my reque$t to fool FS with far calls to show PRM from as far as 120 miles or so the tool was called "BigTex" code simular to this was used for Mallards SanFransisco PRM.As versions progressed so did the problems...We bypassed the LOD grid as it was/IS limitted...Cracks or tears between textures, the "halve a pixel on two edges" issue, the "Crash" issue (you go fly through terrain without crashing) Runways would not sit or show properly....Bleed through....No shaddows ...No solid ground...scenery so big that the compiler couldn't handle it...etc. etc. etcSome of these last issues where "fixed" by using MeshWith1tex commands and then rapping the whole BGL up into a library object and then Calling it.This method had two advantages: first it activated the inbuiltperspective routine hard-coded in g3d.dll so no perspective call is needed, and the second is that your code (the calling part) would be so short that you never run into size related trouble with the compiler. If you place other objects on top of this mesh, you just used the"rel" (7) area type, and your objects will automatically be placedon top of the new terrain. Apart from special, elevated 3d objects you didn't need to use the "abs" refpoint type at all. Then there was a problem with seasons and LM Bmps that the FSTeam fixed for us in FS2k2...but then came FS2k4 and Highrez Photoreal Mesh is gone, not really possible and I don't think anyone has the heart to try to do it (remember we are talking mesh).It is sad that we can't simply use "bigger" textures...it would be to simple I guess....and not much FUN! :-roll

Guest cathay

Guys,now that MS released the patch,and allow 19meter risolution,is it possible to increase 4.75 m/pix (custom photo text over mesh)?

No, the patch has no influence on the display of the textures or the resolution of them.

Arno

Guest griss0m

>Hello,>>that's right Luis, the work has been done with Labomesh (4.75>resolution) and Texpoly (until 0.5 resolution) from Epilogic>Aviation (freeware tools) :>>http://www.epilogic-aviation.net/telecharger_log.html>>Unfortunately, Texpoly is not available at the moment.>>Best regards, pascal>>http://perso.wanadoo.fr/p.dumatLooks like you can download it now right?My French isn't that good tho!-Mitch