Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildfire563

Terrain and Landclass questions

Guest wildfire563

I've downloaded and installed the FSGenesis freeware terrain. So far, it looks pretty good to me. But I read in another post that these files are different from the files you can purchase from FSGenesis, and that they are not as good. Is this true? What is the difference?I am considering purchasing FSGenesis Landclass data. Is it worth purchasing for NE USA? I fly mostly in the Boston - Maine area. Does it redo where lakes are and so on? If it does it and does it accurately this would definately make me buy it.Is there better landclass for this area than FSGenesis from somebody else?Thank you,Thomas

I guess you can best ask these questions in the general FS forum. In this forum scenery designers discuss design techniques mainly, in the general forum you have a better chance of meeting users who use these products.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest jimkeir

Hi.I've got a coastline and lakes addition for Maine available on my [a href=http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim/Scenery.html]website[/a].I wouldn't normally 'advertise' quite so blatantly, but it's not available anywhere else because I still need to do some work on it. Since that's not likely to happen for the next few weeks at least, you might want to try what's there. FYI, some of the offshore islands don't appear correctly.Cheers,Jim Keir

Guest wildfire563

Thanks, I'll do that.Does it integrate well with the FSGenesis Terrain?

Guest jimkeir

Hi.It goes well enough with Justin's older "White Mountains" and "Green Mountains" packages, and I hear it's OK with others too. Try it and see what you think :)JK

Guest wildfire563

Hi,I loaded your shoreline, and it also seems to address one of my other issues, the bodies of water incorrectness and lack thereof around my airport. One thing I noticed was that, even though I disabled the bgl's that you said to disable, I see your water (i.e. the Nashua river and several lakes and ponds) on top of MS's water, so there are two rivers not quite on top of each other (I believe that your's is more correct, although I think it is a little wide). Is it possible to shut off MS's water?I also saw the artifact you mentioned shoreline's but no land for islands.Finally, in your directions, you state "Just load the files in the normal manner". I can think of several ways to do it and I wasn't quite sure what was best. So I disabled the bgl's you said to disable, then put your bgl files in the addon scenery/scenery folder. Is this correct? I suggest just adding a sentence or two to enhance this if you would like others to load it.But I was happy to see you have included bodies of water in the scenery you have done. How did you do it? What did you use for data? Just what is the area that you cover lat/lon-wise?Thank you, I'm not super familiar with the coast, but I have flown it many times, and I did notice the scenery looked more familiar (despite the missing land) around Knox county (KRKD), the airport I have flown into the most on the coast.Thanks again,Thomas

Guest wildfire563

Here's an interesting shot at KRKD (Knox Regional). I have FSGenesis terrain and Michael Ouellette's Landclass loaded. I also have Steve Greenwood's Acadia Natl Park terrain as well, but he says it doesn't go this far west. FSGenesis and USA Roads and NURoads are loaded in scenery/world/ and the rest is loaded in addon scenery/scenery.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/92712.jpg