Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

Help With Flattening FS2004

Hi folks...I'm tackling my first airport "move n' enhance" project - a small airstrip in New Hampshire has drawn my attention because it is the base of an aviation community my girlfriend's father lives in.I noticed it is skewed off alignment when compared against USARoads, so I took to moving it proper and adding some new elements.* I have sucessfully moved the grass strip (and starting locations) to it's rightful coordinates using AFCAD2. (Easy!) * I have sucessfully created a background VTP2 polygon using Ground2K4. (Easy!) * I have sucessfully excluded the old background polygon. (Easy!)* I CAN'T GET THE NEW AIRPORT FLAT! :) (Not Easy!) I've tried using Ground2K4 to create a LWM "Land" polygon surrounding my existing runway poly at the proper altitude, but no luck. I've tried using FSTFlatten to create a flattening BGL, but it doesn't seem to be recognized (or at least used) by FS2004.Any help or pointers you could offer would be GREATLY appreciated!!-Greg

Hold up, guys - As I sit here at work, I think I just uncovered my problem...Wouldn't it make sense to flatten the ground, say, to the height of the airstrip? (DUH!) I think I MAY have been entering a flatten height 40' lower than my airfield - which would explain why the airfield is floating in the air. Interference from the default flatten area seems to be preventing the new flatten from becoming perfectly flat, but it did look different from the default situation I started with - just lower. Before I post problems, I always check, check, and check again to make sure I didn't do something dumb - AND search the forums for answers. Alas - I've probably wasted more electrons than necessary with this one. :) I'll give it another shot today and report when I get home...-Greg460 feet - not 420!! Damn those hippies getting that number stuck in my head!

If you go to the ProjectAI AFCAD forum, there is a link to a small utility program (can't remember name) which you can use to edit the altitude of the default airport flatten, if you want to raise or lower it to the height of your new flatten and AFCAD airport (they should all be at the same altitude I believe).scott s..

Well, that was my problem - I was flattening to the wrong altitude. The default altitude was correct, just not in the correct location. When I entered the PROPER altitude for my LWM poly (as drawn in Ground2K4) everything matches up nice nice. Now - ON to SceneGenX for placement of extras! -Greg