Sign in to follow this  

Help with overspeed please.

Can someone tell me how or what to adjust to make a particular aircrafts' cruise speed correct. i'm tired of the 350 knt overspeed on all my airliners.Thanks in advance

A10C130,Regardless of your reasons, if you really want to adjust it, you will need a FDE editor (there's a free one at abacuspub.com), open the FDE file for that aircraft, and in the section called 'Main Dynamics' you will find an item called VMO (velocity, maximum operating ?). Edit to whatever seems reasonable and save. There is another entry up near the beginning of the FDE file called'max mach' or something like that, expressed in decimals. You probably should change it too.Good luck, enjoy...Bob

Here is a link that explains whe you are overspeeding at 350 knots INDICATED.http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath282/kmath282.htmPretty scary, huh? :)There is a big difference between indicated and true airspeed when you are at cruising level in a jet, say 30,000 feet or so.I found a handy ratio that seems to work well. For every 1000ft, add 2% to your indicated airspeed to find true airspeed, in other words, how fast the airframe thinks its going.So, if you were cruising at 30,000ft, your true airspeed would be 60% faster than your indicated airspeed. This means that if your were seeing 350 knots on the airspeed indicator, you were really doing 560! This is why you are over-speeding at 350 when cruising.A good way to get a grasp on this is to open the GPS window at look at your ground speed when you are zipping along at 350 indicated at 30,000ft. With no wind, TAS=Ground speed. A good ballpark to be in at cruising altitude is 280-320 indicated, depending on a lot of variables. You should really be using mach at flight levels anyway, but that is another lesson! :)Regards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Guest WorkingStiff

Steve,Do you mean I just can't ignore the laws of physics? Do I really have to learn how this all works; all I want to do is "fly" without the overspeed warning sounding.... :-lol

Reduce power! or set Autopilot speed to something less than 350 kts.

Yes, in order to get full enjoyment out of MSFS2002, you MUST memorize every formula in my last link and earn a degree in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). :)Here is another handy link to easily calculate Compressible Aerodynamics :-lol http://www.aoe.vt.edu/aoe3114/calc.htmlRegards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

>Steve, >>Do you mean I just can't ignore the laws of physics? Do I >really have to learn how this all works; all I want to do is >"fly" without the overspeed warning sounding.... :-lol The point of this sim was not so you could fly around like a screwball. LOL