Sign in to follow this  
Guest daveg4otu

transparency

Guest daveg4otu

I've been playing around with texture - both for ground surfaces and buildingg macros- altering and experimenting.What I need to know is what color is default transparent - for instance to make an open doorway so you can see inside a building or to create a "soft edged " ground texture where the underlaying default texture can show thru in places.I thought it would be black - same as in panel bitmaps but so far this hasn't worked.Dave

Guest luissa

Hello Dave,In FS5 and FS98 you could get transparency with the black color and some other command issued to the FS graphic engine. Today you can have transparency in a variety of ways. No commands. The transparency is defined solely in the bitmap.For example, in a 32-bit bitmap every pixel has 4 bytes (32 bits). 3 bytes are for red, green and blue and, the 4th represents a transparency level. This 4th plane is called the alpa channel.In 8-bit bitmaps, you have a palette with 256 entries. Following the palette you have the pixel data which is 1 byte per pixel. This byte points to an entry to the referred to palette. Again each palette entry is 4 bytes: red, green, blue and transparency. FS200X interprets this 4th byte as transparency.Enough for explanations. There are a lot of programms that allow you to add transparency to bitmaps. For 8-bit bitmaps, may be you want to try the one I use:http://www.ptsim.com/downloads/transp.zipRegards, Luis

I would suggest using the alpha channel in the DXT format textures of FS. For DXT1 you have a 1 bit alpha channel, while DXT3 has a 4 bit channel.This means that with DXT1 you can only make on or off transparancies, while DXT3 also allows levels of transparancy.This is a link to a tutorial with some more information about creating them I wrote:http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest daveg4otu

Thankyou both for the advice.Dave

I guess it depends on your personal taste, but I never got the alpha channel working properly in DXTBmp. I prefer to edit it directly in my paint program when I design the texture and then just save in a format that ImageTool can read.ImageTool does not have to edit the alpha channel in that case and is only used to convert the texture to DXT.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest daveg4otu

Success!!- after around 3 hours of "cut and try" ( or if you prefer " suck it and see")I finally made a transparency that actually worked in FS9.This may be crude but I used dxtbmp to open an existing image - created an alpha channel - edited it in Paint and the put it all back together in dxtbmp saving as a dxt3 alpha.I guess better results can be had using PSP ( which my wife has - so should be no problem if I ask nicely)Thanks to all for all the advice.Dave