Sign in to follow this  
Guest daveg4otu

Newbie at scenery...

Hello all,Last night I decided to dive into the world of scenery creation. Part of my decision was that I am determined to make sceneries addons for KCOS, KMSN, and KPSP in FS9 since in all my years of flight simming there has not been any addons for these airports. I was wondering where do I start, what software do I need, how challenging really is it to make some scenery for small regional airports, advice, etc.?Thanks a lot.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Guest Gator40019

Well....I Started with GMAX. That was jumping into the deep end.*:-* You can create objects as simple or complicated as you wish and export it for compiling into flight sim. Silly me. I got hooked however. I keep to simple stuff. There are a number of tutorials and help is just a post away in this forum.Most questions have been answered, and you can find them with a simple search.SceneGenX is most likely the newest program for placing objects and is made for fs9. There is also Flight simulator scenery creator. Both are free. And we all owe the authors a debt of gratitude. Another good web site for tutorials and programs and advice ishttp://www.scenerydesign.orgBelieve me when I say if I can do this so can you.Hope this helps and good luck,

KPSP I would not bother with....available very soon.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

That depends on what you call airport addons. If you want to design new buildings and other objects for the airport I also suggest GMax.If you only want to alter the taxiways and parking position AFCAD2 might be easier to use. But when you want to change more to the layout, like placing new objects as well, then SceneGenX works better I think.In general you need at least two programs. One to make 3D objects and another to place them and do taxiways, etc.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I'm basically looking to put some jetways in, maybe a vehicle or two, and if I learn how to use SceneGenX or what not (though it looks like a very complicated program after just downloading it) maybe redo the terminal for starters.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Guest fame

Hi CaptKornDog:If you're asking for a recommendation in scenery design tools tocreate your hometown airport, I recommend the following programs:FS2004:Gmax: http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/ The gold standard forcreating objects in both FS2002 and 2004. The program comes withMicrosoft's Pro version of FS2002, or downloads a copy directly fromDescreet's Website.For modeling the balance of your scenery (airports, runways, taxiways,etc) you'll require additional tools. I recommend SceneGenX(www.airportforwindows.com) or AFCAD to handle this area of design.One final note of caution; the programs mentioned are in a constantstate of development, therefore it

Guest daveg4otu

If you want an easier start - then work your way up to GMAX etc try EOD (Easy Object Designer) and FSSC (Flight Simulator scenery Creator).I found both of these easy to use- altho to be fair I was designing an airfield from scratch.I found that GMAX has a pretty long learning curve - and is essential for more complex objects, but with EOD you can make some good basic shapes you can play around with.I also found that AirportsforWindows is much less straightforward than FSSC-again a longer learning curve.Whatever you choose- good luck - and there is plenty of good free advice on these forums- I would have been lost without it.Dave

If you plan to make more then your own house, or something like that I strongly suggest you to learn GMax. EOD is nice, but a bit out of date. The code used in it's object is basically not of the Fs2000 level and therefore I think it is better to use a more modern tool.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

The notion that using EOD is in someway preparatory for GMAX is flawed. The learning curve for learning GMAX is not shortened by learning a different product. It may be lengthened because you will learn habits that must be unlearned.Learn GMAX...its fun...its not hard...its rewardingBob Bernstein

Guest daveg4otu

>The notion that using EOD is in someway preparatory for GMAX>is flawed. That's not what I meant or said Bob.My own experience with GMAX is that it is difficult to get on top of - but I agree - worth it in the end.My meaning was rather - that if you want to start playing around with scenery design - placement of macros etc - then EOD/FSSC offers a comparatively simple way to start .Dave

ok...the phrase <> sounds to me like a recommendation to start with EOD and somehow evolve into gmax. you say I misread you, I apologize. I think the best advise to offer a newby is to learn gmax. Suggesting there is an easier way is bad advise, imho. It takes a while to learn anything. Learning Gmax happens fastest if you start right away. B

Guest daveg4otu

No apology neccessary Bob........ and you Do have a point. Just that I really struggled with GMAX in the beginning - and still haven't really got to like it.CheersDave