Sign in to follow this  
johq

Problem with scenery textures

Hi all,I edited th ground textures surrounding an airport. But somehow there appeared to be these weird snow-colored rectangles during spring. This wouldn't be bad at all, if everywhere else the textures showed up alike. But they don't, all other cells of the ground are coloured as grass, when these are just snow. I've discovered that this somehow refers to the LOD13 cells of the ground. Could someone tell me, how can I get rid from this problem? It appears only at spring, not at other seasons. http://members.tiscali.fi/johakaik/kamaa/k...kbnfgknbglk.jpgI made edits with my previous installation of Ground2K (which I'm using at the moment), but I uninstalled it, and saved the *.LWM-files that I made with it. I also installed the BGL's that were generated from this LWM's. But now I'm not able to open those LWM-files with my new installation of Ground2K (if someone knows the trick, please tell me). I created all new project with Ground2K, and exported it to FS (removed the BGL's of the previous version first), but still this problem appears.My sim is FS2002, and I use Ground2K (not Ground2K4, since it doesn't work fith FS2002).

Hi there,the only reason for this odd texture "chess board" I can think of is a seasonal boundary. Load "seasons.bgl" from FS2002Scenery with TMFViewer and zoom in on your airport via the Jump function. Then flip through the months (View > Seasons) and look for boundaries crossing the airport's apron.If you spot such a boundary I guess you could try picking a different landclass/texture for your VTP polygon, one that doesn't have strong seasonal variations.As for the compatibility of G2K files there is a converter available here in the file library, g2k4conv11.zip, by Edgar Knobloch, which might help you.Cheers, Holger

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll try that when I get to my computer at home. I'll post the results here.

I checked it now with the TMFViewer, but I noticed nothing remarkable. Instead I tried removing the edited terrain, so that the original would appear. This was the result:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94466.jpgBecause removing of the edited scenery didn't help, I think that I have somehow modified the "base" files of the LOD13-cells. I remember that the original scenery of Microsoft at this airport wasn't looking like this (if you'd like to check the original ones, go to airport EFHK in FS). It had everything ok. Any ideas, how should I continue now?

I believe you are showing a winter scene. You have somehow caused some of the airport skirting to use only a summer texture while the rest is using a winter texture OR you have somehow caused a summer/fall to use a winter texture while the remainder of the skirting is using a summer texture.Start FS2004, to your flight, then change the seasons to see what happens.W. Sieffert

Hi wsieffert,this problem appears only in a few days at spring. All other seasons work well. And this is what bothers me, why can't these spring textures fit together? The VTP polygon, which I've created in the first picture, has grass (ID 128) as its texture.And to be correct, I'm using FS2002.

I opened FS2002 and it seem the same as far as the skirting. If you modified one of the FS2002 default terrain file, I would assume you are going to have to find the appropiate VTP file you modified, delete it, and replace it from another default extracted from your fs2002 CDs.Otherwise, you have a modified file roaming around in one of your scenery folders that is causing the problem.W. Sieffert

But from which of those 3 CD's should I search for that file? What is the name of the file that I have to find? Or what kind of file is it?

Hi there,I still believe that the checkerboard pattern is a seasonal issue that cannot be fixed with replacing any default files. Below is a TMFViewer shot of the area in April. The gray and white blocks show the "feathered" boundary of a season (winter vs sping) and their proximity to the apron suggests that they cause that pattern.Those default files are hard to find in FS2002 (they are sorted by region in the Scenedb subfolders) but there is a utility available, which helps finding the file: LOCBGL v1.2 @ http://www.scenery.org/design_utilities_c.htmCheers, Holgerhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94593.jpg

Howdy,well, it tells me that the seasons.bgl seems to have changed slightly from FS2002 to FS9 and that the airport apron in FS2002 is clearly intersected by a season boundary.I seem to remember that people have used the FS9 season.bgl in FS2002 or vice versa but it requires that you own FS9, of course.Christian Stock explains the structure of the seasons file in his TMF Manual, here in the library. Other than writing your own version of seasons.bgl (Christian explains how) your only other choices are to (1) ignore April, (2) make your own airfield background poly that leaves out the problematic areas, (3) use a grass texture that doesn't have any obvious seasonal changes. Neither of these options is perfect so you'll have to decide which is least "offending".Cheers, Holger

Thanks a million for clearing this up! This has been annoying me, have I caused this or is this caused by the simulator by default. At least now I know, what causes this.And now to my choices, that I have:(1) How can I do that?(2) Do you mean that I would create a VTP-polygon, that wouldn't cover those LOD13-areas? (3) I don't think I use this method.