Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Editing bmp's (OceanHeightField.bmp) problem

Guest patpipp

Hi all,I'm experimenting with the OceanHeightField.bmp and I'm having no luck. Before editing the bmp in Photoshop, I convert it to rgb so I can apply filtering then back to index. Afterwards I save it as a 96dpi bmp and then place it in the main texture folder. Problem is, is when I try to start up a flight, the loading screen stops at 68% every time and then crashes. Are there particular criteria to exist for the bmp to be successful? Can you recommend maybe another editor to use?I'm talking about FS9.1 btw.

If you have Imagetool.exe, available in several of the FS2004SDKs, I would open this file and observe that it has MIP MAPS. Opening this file in Photoshop without doing something with the MIP MAPS may be causing your problem.I'll leave it to the expert texture folks to give you the correct answer.W. Sieffert

Guest patpipp

Thanks for the help. After searching Google some more I found a program called DXTBmp. I opened the bmp in there then sent it to Photoshop (PS) via DXTBmp. After editing in PS, I save it as a regular bmp then open it again in DXTBmp and save as an extended bmp. Particularly DXT1 format.

The OceanHeightField.bmp is supposed to be 8-bit with 10 mips, 512x512... no DXT1 or DXT3 or anything like that.This can be easily done with MS' latest version of imagetool.exeDick